Poor soil (dirt) quality

Page 2 of 3
Mike wrote:

North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

synthetic fertilizers suck and for the sake of the environment ought to be banned.

results, however we atleast usea 50% organic/synthetic mix, which is a little better. And for our organic customers they get chicken poop with acedic acid/yucca for weed control.
Mike wrote:

You know, if you do like I do, and every time you cut the grass, just pile it all in a wheelbarrow, roll it 'round back & put it on the compost pile, you don't ever have to buy chemical fertilizers.
Does help to use a pitch-fork and turn the pile once in a while. That's a good time to add in the vegetable scraps, coffee grounds & egg shells.
About once a year, I run it through a chipper/shredder & move it over to the second pile. That's also a good time for cleaning up any volunteer shrubbery & walnut trees and shred them into the second pile as well. Anything 1/2" or more gets cut up for kindlin'
Second pile's also goes thru the shredder (with the fine screen) & gets moved to the third pile.
To me, the third pile looks just like the topsoil they sell in bags at Lowes or Home Depot.
Plus you never gotta' buy bait. There's plenty of worms in there if ya' wanna' go fishin'.
--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

And hope that fine roots don't invade your pile and make it so bound up you can't get a shovel in it.
Srgnt Billko wrote:

Ain't happened in the last 20 years or so since I been composting, but I'll watch out for it.
--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for
Jim Ledford wrote:

LOL. And return to the days of e coli, cholera, listeria, dysentery, and foodstuffs mishapen and unappealing due to proper mineral balance?
BTW - there's nothing "synthetic" about chemical fertilizers. Chemically, there is no difference whatsoever - except for uniform composition and lack of impurities. Science - not voodoo traditions.
Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

http://www.lesco.com /
most likely you're not in the lawn care business and as such I'd not expect you to be aware of Lesco products as well as have an in-depth understanding for how Lesco has used science and field test research to advance their product line well past that of all other producers. Lesco products cost more, however for the sake of the environment they are well worth the investment.
best, Jim

And warn the unaware - not to use fresh chicken manure cause it burns the vegetation. What are poultry farmers using for floor cover in your area ? Hate like hell to have 75% woodchips spread over my lawn.
Mike wrote:

I wonder why? One is full of bacteria (possibly with other viruses, parasites) - and of fluctuating chemical composition - while the other is sterile clean, and formulated to exactly match the plant's chemical needs.

biohazard symbol on them.
Mike wrote:

Compost it & the heat it generates will sterilize it for you.
--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

LOL - never thought of buying chicken manure by the bag.. Pickup truck yes - bag no !! Sterilized chicken shit ?? - what next ?

    Sterilied mouse turds, in little tiny bags you can put in your walls, with a plastic dishwasher-safe reusable applicator.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:31:59 GMT, .p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

That might just become the code in Cary for wall insulation!

I can see the rack in Cary Home Depots now: *color co-ordinated* matched sets of dishwasher-safe reusable applicators (with carbon-fiber handles), $90 ...

Nah. R-value is too low.
--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for
Srgnt Billko wrote:

We had plenty of that during the Carter administration...

(hello)
btw.. have you ever used milorganite.... or you just deposit it?

    Ever eat at Micky D's ?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /

Its easier for mass building of homes to scrape the land of topsoil. You can't pour a concrete slab on wishwashy soil. More difficult for heavy trucks to move in that soil, especially concrete trucks. It is odd the builder didn't just put the topsoil back when the house was completed. Guess it was the minor cost in doing that.