Poor soil (dirt) quality

Page 1 of 3
I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is pretty crappy. Hard and clay like. The builder seeded the lot with tall fescue which managed to grow ok. The lawn still looks a pale green to yellow in areas. Any suggestion on how to build up the soil quality in my yard? I've heard one suggestion of having top soil brought in. How pricey would that be? Any other suggestions? Thanks

could be anywhere from a hundred to a few hundred.

Geez - on old farm land - there has to be some decent top soil pretty close by.

Is that supposed to be a pun ? Cow shit or chicken shit ? Even if it has been harvested without fertilization (unlikely) the soil should still be nice and loose and strong enough to grow grass.

Mike wrote:

yep. it was not hauled all that far away just after it was scraped off and loaded on trucks. see, later after the newcomer decides how they'd like to have a lawn the same original top soil can be sold back to them. seems it's really all about maximum profits and profitability.

funny you should mention shit or maybe I should refer to the substance as chicken droppings. did you know organically certified produce must be grown without man made chemical fertilizers? guess what we sometimes use in the place of those man made chemical fertilizers?

    No shit ?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
.p.jm wrote:

excrement for the more so called refined.

Paul is on a lot of peoples fecal roster.
me wrote:

I have to wonder how is it the parents know to name them paul. or could possibly be once named paul it's all down hill from there?

    Paul, Saul, it's all the same.
    Just don't call me late for dinner.
    Jim-bob.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /

    Purest bovine scatology.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /

    But not man-made excrement ?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
Jim Ledford wrote:

Manure.
--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

Mike wrote:

that causes me to wonder if certification by the NCDACS would be required before allowing said lawn care works to make such an application? most likely, there'd be an unaddressed loop hole somewhere in this one.

poop as a good alternative to synthetic fertalizers. Wow that was a struggle, my R key is pooched!
Mike wrote:

North Carolina Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Services
http://www.ncagr.com /