Please Help

I live in Philadelphia PA and recently had a few trees cut down. I filled the large hole up in the front lawn where the largest tree was cut down and the roots reamed out. The other tree was smaller and I didn't have to fill the hole up. Perhaps there are wood chips in it. The question is, is it too late to plant grass? I thought I would spread some top soil and some Scott's Sun and Shady grass seed and then put burlap on top, water it and wait for it to sprout and then remove the burlap. But now people tell me its too late. It that correct. Else where I have heard that people are planting annual rye seed until the end of October. It would be wonderful if someone could give me some advice on what to do. Thanks very much.

Reply to
cardarch

"The question is, is it too late to plant grass? "

It's not ideal, but it's certainly not too late to plant grass seed in Philly. Fescue will germinate in a week, blue grass will take 2-3 weeks. Assuming normal weather, meaning it doesn't get cold a lot sooner than usual, you will be OK. It's been so hot and dry here in central NJ that I did some seeding I needed to do only last Fri, right before the big rain.

And there's not much downside, since you;re just patching some areas. I've seeded full lawns in late Oct and had good results. The biggest concern there is that it won't have enough time to fill in real well till spring, so if you're doing a whole lawn, it may not look great for the winter. But that shouldn't be a problem for a few spots.

If you want a sure method, get some sod, which is an option for small patch areas.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
scott(remove_to_reply)