Playing with gophers

I finally got my pocket gopher killer working. This is the third version of it, and I believe this one is a keeper. It uses a welding torch handle and some other fittings to put propane and pure O2 down a gopher burrow. Then a spark. The concussion kills them, removes the oxygen, and collapses a good bit of the tunnel. Go to Rodenator.com and look at their videos. Theirs is $1800, and no tanks or regulators.. Mine was from parts I had, and could be built for $50. Tanks and regulators extra, bringing the whole deal to about $500.
Yesterday, I was working in the driveway, and one was shoving dirt out of a mound. Why that cheeky little guy! I went and hooked up the gopher device, and within a few minutes he was in gopher heaven.
I've used poisons, traps, flooding, but this works.
Steve
--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,
SteveB said:

$500 to kill a gopher. LOL
I got a gopher this afternoon with my $30 spade. Then I used the spade to cut out some sod, where a garden bed will go. Tomorrow, I'll use it to put a nice edge around a few other beds. I could probably find some other uses for it. What else can the gopher killer do, for all the money that it cost?
--

Eggs

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a man

I've gotten rid of many gophers with just my size 12 New Balances. Tamp down the tunnel and either (1) catch them in the cave in or (2) they just get annoyed and leave. Done this a couple times a year for the last couple of decades.

It can hire out for $200 a day to kill other people's gophers. Try that with a $30 spade.
Steve
SteveB said:

LOL =)
--

Eggs

A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of

I've been using a hav-a-hart and then shooting them in the trap with a .22 and then shoving the carcass down the hole. That discourages other chucks from staying there. But now they've moved under several of my sheds so it might be time to sit quietly for a half hour and use the 12 guage again.
Srgnt Billko said:

I had ya figured as staking the carcass to an 8" high cross, as a warning to any other pests. =)

=)
--

Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Hey - that's a hell-uv-a good idea <chuckle>
We seem to have a few wild coyotes and a fox. Groundhogs have disappeared.

They're in the Federal Witness Protection Program.
Steve

.22-250 Remington