planting winter rye

I live in san diego and want to plant winter rye. There is no gras
growing in the area at all. it used to be tomatoe fields. Is it t late in the year to plant rye grass? If anyone can help that would b great. I just want the field to look green. Planning to plan something else in the spring or early summer
-- rhyno
I live in san diego and want to plant winter rye. There is no grass growing in the area at all. it used to be tomatoe fields. Is it to late in the year to plant rye grass? If anyone can help that would be great. I just want the field to look green. Planning to plant something else in the spring or early summer.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Not really that familiar with your climate, having only spent short vacation times there, but from what I understand, it is very mild, perhaps doesn't freeze at all.
Around here (Texas), it is not too late to plant. We have two types of Rye. One is annual, meaning it dies out when it is warm. The other keeps coming back year after year. I don't think you want that. I planted it, not knowing the difference, and several years later, am still trying to get rid of it. It is hard to mow because it seems so wet and heavy.
Rather than ask your question on a public forum, it would seem to me to be a better idea to go by a local nursery. Bob
Bob said:

Is there something seriously wrong with your OE? Your quotes should be defined, using a proper quote character (standard is a ">" followed by a "space"). Definately *not* a row of asterisks, following the quote. Perhaps http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/ will help.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking the question here. It's why this froup exists. Plenty of posters here are from the left coast, and are familiar with San Diego's climate and turf grasses. Perhaps they've been to a nursery and are getting more opinions.
As to the OP's question, planting an annual rye now, should be fine. It grows quickly, and will provide the green they seek, until their desired sod can be laid/sown in the spring.
--

Eggs

Can you be a closet claustrophobic?