Planting Under Walnut Trees

Hi,

Our backyard has about 8 huge walnut trees. We want to create an English style garden within this area which obviously is quite shady. We've heard that walnut trees poison the soil and not everything can grow in this area - would someone offer suggestions as to what would be good to plant in this garde?

Thanks.....

Randy.

Reply to
RJS

I don't have walnut trees, because every time I see 1 sprout up, I dig it out by the roots. I do a lot of camping & every campground that I've ever stayed in that had a walnut grove had nothing else growing there except a few weeds.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

I have a huge English Walnut and yes, it is difficult to get even grass to grow under it. My riding mower has great suction and I mow frequently to keep the debris cleaned up so my grass will grow. If you plant anything else, keep in mind the maintenance of cleaning up the walnut debris.

Reply to
frOg

Yes you're correct about that. It seems like there's about 4 stages to the crap that falls from the trees. First in the spring there's long thin seed type things that fall along with thousands of little balls (seeds?) then in the fall there's long thin twig type things that fall along with the walnuts (the size of golf balls) and the leaves.

Reply to
RJS

Only four? Geez, this monster is dropping crap all the time!

Ok, so it 'pauses' sometimes while it gets ready for the next batch. :-)

Reply to
frOg

I have a similar situation. Most of the area under my roughly 2' diameter Black Walnut trees is shaggy lawn, which seems to be staying green in spite of what I have read about them killing grass.

There is a large cluster of (wild?) lilacs that seems to be unaffected by the Walnut toxins. All around these lilacs I created a large perennial bed. Coneflower's, black eyed Susan's, & Daylillies are growing like mad. Butterfly Bushes are not doing very well at all.

For annuals, I've had good success with Ageratum's, Cosmos, Salvias, and a few others I can't recall.

David in MD

Reply to
newsreader

when living in KY had 8 black walnut trees.....and I detest the taste of black walnuts sorry to say. As I recall the grass grew quite well right up to the trunks of the trees. The were quite dangerous when dropping those nuts. One hit on the head you'd probably have to go to the hosptal. The hulls would rot and you would need rubber gloves to pick them up cuzz they stain your hands so badly. And it was a chore mowing around them. Now I reside in the Pacific Northwest and pull pine trees like they were dandelions.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin