Plant Nutrition and Soil

Hi,
I'm trying to find info on seeing what plants need what soil nutrition and how to test the soil. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike

Mike said:

Are you looking for information on the requirements of existing plantings? Or, are you looking for ideas for future plantings, based on existing soil conditions?
Information for existing plantings is easy. One of (if not *the*) largest online plant databases can be found at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/ . Each entry will list the requirements for that species. Without becoming a member (small annual fee), you're daily searches are limited to only a few, IIRC. They also have a plant identification forum that usually gives results within hours, if not minutes, if you're unsure of the needs of an unidentified plant in your landscape. All you'd need is a pic to upload.
As for testing the soil, contact your local co-op.
--

Eggs

-Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he
Thanks for the info.
I have existing plants that I want to ensure they have the best soil. I also want to bring some indoors and want to know what mix would be good and then adjust as needed. I've also had problems with feedings in the past. Garden shops sold me plant food and told me how much to put and I killed half of them.
What did you mean by "Co-op" for soil testing? Is there any type of kit that allows one to do it themselves?

[Top-posting fixed]
Mike said:

Ok. For that, then, the link I gave you will provide the information you seek.

Do you mean dig them out of the ground and put them in pots? Or, do you mean that you have potted plants that you want to over-winter in your house?

If you're digging them up, then you should know that garden soil makes a very poor container soil. It's much too heavy, and drains poorly.

What makes you sure it was the feeding that killed them?

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html
Yes, but they're far less accurate, and give far less information.
--

Eggs

The speed of time is one second per second.