Pine cones are falling and scales aren't opening

Pine cones from my trees seem to be falling at a greater rate then ever. I also noticed that their scales aren't open. Are the cones falling "prematurely." Does it mean that the pine tree is not in good health?
It usually takes me a long time to pick the cones before mowing the lawn, many of them are embedded in the lawn, and some bear spots are beginning to show on the lawn.
Thanks for any insights you may be able to provide.

Some varieties of Pine drop their cones 'green'. They will open when the time comes.