Overseeding...too early?

Live in NJ and want to overseed and do the winter fertilization. I just aerated the lawn last weekend and want to know if it's too early to do the seeding? I know it's "officially" fall but it's still supposed to be near 80 this weekend (is that too hot?). Should I wait a few more weeks or will that be too late?

Also...when I overseed (this is my first time), I know I have to water more often to get the seed started but won't that hurt my other existing grass since everything I've read says to only water once per week?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Rule of thumb I've heard when overseeding is to water three times a day for about 15 minutes each watering. Do this for about two weeks and then return to your normal watering schedule. My guess is two weeks of the altered schedule won't affect the existing lawn too much since it is only for a short period of time.

I'm by no means an expert as we've just completed our first overseeding last weekend. I'm just reciting the advice I was given.

Best of luck.

Reply to
rw

I dont think so..October is days away. We did our's a few days ago, on Long Isand, NY

Long Island, NY Home of the US's worst drivers!

Reply to
Elwood

Some of 'em moved south to TX and bred some more worst drivers.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

In NJ, from Labor Day through early Oct is the window for seeding. What you're looking for is cooler and wetter weather, so that you don't have to constantly apply water. Competition from weeds declines with lower temps too. However, it has been so hot and dry this year, that unless you can easily and economically provide a lot of water, this year has been very poor for seeding.

As for watering, you need to keep the seed constantly moist. In cooler weather, that could be a 15 min watering 3 times a day. If it's in the

80's, then it may require watering every few hours during the daytime, which is why this year has been so poor for seeding. If you need to do it, I'd be looking to do it no later than the next 2 weeks, hopefully right before forecasted rain. And if you can't water it, then I'd wait until spring.

The extra water for a few weeks this time of year shouldn't harm the existing grass. The advice to water deeply once a week is to encourage deep root growth. And that is predicated on having good deep topsoil. If you don't than you may need to water every 4 days or so. Keeping the grass constantly wet is not ideal for the existing grass, but with cooler temps, the chance of problems like fungus are diminished.

Reply to
trader4