Overseeding

Yeah you got it now, old man. :P

Get busy Jay, this coming week looks nice for germination. Good luck with it.

Reply to
Steveo

Update! Gotter done... maybe. I aerated, turned up tons of thatch, spread the seed with a drop spreader, then spread thriple 19 fertilizer with a broadcast spreader. It rained lightly the following day but nothing since. I have several bare patches when I really turned up the turf while thatching; those were patches that drain last and it did rain the day before I thatched. I'm concerned that I don't see anything yet. (It 's been about 5 days). I'm wondering if I should throw straw over those patches; the largest is about 2' x 4' but most are about 1' x 2'. When should I expect to see some results?

Reply to
jaygreg

Should see the rye's start popping in 5 to 7 days, the blue will take much longer.

Reply to
Steveo

You said it hasn't rained, so if it's a lawn at your house, why aren't you watering it? If you keep it constantly damp, you're going to get much better germination than relying on mother nature. Much of your work and seed will go to waste if it doesn't get enough water. Applying weed free straw or similar light cover will certainly help, but it's not a substitute for water.

Reply to
trader4

I definitely need to water then. I'll target the areas that are really bare; about 4 or 5 patches. I can't handle the rest of the lawn or I'll go broke with my water rates. But the rest of the lawn has the remains of the "good grass" that was left from the thatching. I suppose the evening air brings humidity to those areas and, hopefully, that with tide me over 'til later in the week when rain is expected. I'll keep the patches web daily though.

Reply to
jaygreg