Old gasoline

Naw, you can put a gallon or two of old gas into a car tank that's more or less full with new gas (and has room, duh) without screwing anything up. The new gas has enough reserve solvent capacity to keep anything solidifying from the old gas in solution. At least, that's what the lawnmower and snowblower sites I've been looking at lately tell me.

Been looking at the snowblower talks lately, a lot of them swear by adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel to prevent sticky valves, etc.

Tomatos grown in gasoline soaked ground... Hummmm!!!

You could always mix it up with fresh two cycle gas a little at a time. No valves to get stuck. Might run a bit crappy though.

I would again mix it either with fresh gas and run it in a lawnmower or

snowblower.

OR

Use it as a nice good weedkiller. Just pour it in small amounts. Enough to kill the grass but not enough to soak in a do some soil damage. You might be even able to use it in a spray bottle to kill the weeds....

Reply to
BocesLib

Yes and no... the advent of in-tank electric fuel pumps for fuel injection, which are not prone to vapor lock, has led to the refineries leaving a lot of the real light fractions in the gasoline that they couldn't in the past, so that they evaporate out more. In fact, older evaporative pollution control systems from the early 80s and such get maxed out by current fuel. Whether that would be a problem for a lawnmower with no fuel pump is dubious, of course.

True, but evaporation is not ... well in some cases it could be, the problem of old gas. It is the chemical reactions within the gas that is the usual problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I had a neighbor who claimed he used Marvel Mystery Oil as "starting fluid". Is that possible ? I'm afraid it is too late to "prevent" for that Pony - but I might throw a little in the gas tanks of my other two and the Cub.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Got me. I've never actually opened a can of the stuff.,

Reply to
gzuckier

Where do you think fried tomatoes come from?

mm

Runoff of this can be a problem environmentally. If spreadout along a fenceline, yes it kills everything for that growing season on that fenceline. And much less likely to runoff if dumped in one location. Typically the next growing season, the soil has recovered enough by breaking down the gasoline to usable or benign components. 2 to 3 years, one would think fertilizer was dropped there instead by growth appearances. Used engine oil is similar. Would have second thoughts on synthetic oil or petroleum based oil with additive product added to the oil by the consumer.

Dumping laws were directed at chemicals, oil products that were dumped with no attention to the environment. A common invisible example is an underground gasoline storage tank that has leaks due to age. The contents get into the water table. The environmental laws apply to all. Even though some conscientious individual could dispense a given amount of petroleum waste without any immediate and subsequent impact except the location its dumped. A gallon of "bad" gasoline doesn't go to far spread out on a fenceline. Most of it evaporates.

Reply to
Jim

Why? Edible foods are grown in soil with fertilizers derived from petroleum, or some form of manure everyday. The only difference here between petroleum derived fertilizer and this is that am not paying for it. Mother nature is doing the chemical breakdown of the petroleum product. Just because its not a common practice, doesn't mean its not viable.

Anyone who's done backyard location car work for years in a location in the backyard, then abandoned that location has seen the results from the oil and gasoline waste. Similar to the grass growing greener over a leaky septic tank or leech field. Fenceline waste oil dumping is the same. Takes a couple of years to recover, but the results are the same.

Reply to
Jim

Since you know this to be true, please provide us with the chemical formulas of how gasoline and it's additives become fertilizer.

Reply to
FDR

The evaporation will lead to hard starting, but the oxidation etc. are what causes varnish and sediment.

Long boring story: I bought a 7 year old Corvair at one point; the fancy kind with 4 carbs, two primaries and two secondaries. Only the primaries had idle jets this early in production, and the secondaries were on a progressive linkage, which meant that unless you floored it, the gas did not flow through them, just sat and slowly evaporated out of the float bowls. I guess whoever owned it did not drive very energetically, as I discovered that both secondary fuel bowls were absolutely and completely full of solid matter that could not be removed with any amount of carb cleaner and manual labor, and the carbs had to be junked. I wonder why the original owner went for the 4 carb version in the first place?

Reply to
gzuckier

I bought a 1970 (approx) vintage Toro Snowhound 20.

No air cleaner at all? Not even a screen to keep mice out in the summer? Is this normal for the industry?

Reply to
gzuckier

Yep, what a waste. That car was a lot of fun. I had a Corvair convertible with the same setup.

I bought the kit that replaced the 4 carbs with a center mounted Holly 4 barrel. Zoooom!

Reply to
Dan Espen

Currently... no. But you're dealing with a 35 year old blower!

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I have one dated to 1980 and it has a breather - yours should too.

--=20 PDQ

-- wrote in message = news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... | I bought a 1970 (approx) vintage Toro Snowhound 20. |=20 | No air cleaner at all? Not even a screen to keep mice out in the | summer? Is this normal for the industry? |

Reply to
PDQ

Yeah its normal. Ariens snowkings dont have one by default. You can buy one from them though if you really want it. Only thing that covers the carb is a metal enclosure around it. Its open from the bottom though.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

most snowblowers dont use airfilter cause it ices up. there isnt any dirt blowin around in snow anyway.but there usually is a screen of some type to keep rocks and such out... or on water for that matter,thats why outboard engines dont use an air filter..lucas

ds549

Overview

Each year, American consumers accidentally spill more than 9 million gallons of gasoline, largely in attempts to fill small engine machines like lawn mowers, chain saws, generators and outboard motors and through improper disposal of excess or old gasoline. The Alliance for Proper Gasoline Handling is a unique public-private partnership helping to reduce the significant environmental harm caused by millions of these small, accidental spills.

A typical portable fuel container, also called a gas can, emits about

8 pounds of hydrocarbons through spills and evaporation each year.

Compared to a new car, a typical portable fuel container emits twice the amount of hydrocarbons each year.

There are about 78 million portable fuel containers in the United States. In total, portable fuel containers emit about 621 million pounds, or 310,000 tons, of hydrocarbons each year.

A rough estimate of hydrocarbon emissions from gasoline spillage alone is approximately 28,000 tons per year nationwide.

About one tenth of a gallon of gasoline is spilled per portable fuel container each year during typical use and handling.

These releases contribute, at least in part, to the United States Geologic Society (USGS) estimate that more than 40 million people use groundwater that contains at least one volatile organic compound, many of which are components of gasoline.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Yep! I did small engine work for a few years, never saw a filter, screen or anything on the carburetor intake. My guess is it would just get clogged with snow anyway! Neither my twenty year old Bolens or my two year old Toro have anything for a intake filter. Greg

Reply to
Greg O