Old Ariens Snowblower w/5HP Tecumseh Engine

Hello friends,

I'm looking for some help with some minor troubleshooting on this old beast. I believe that the issue is with the recoil starter not engaging with the crankshaft. I've already removed the flywheel and checked the flywheel key, it's fine. Removed the cylinder head, rotated the flywheel and the pistons are all responding as they should.

It simply seems to be a matter of the recoil starter not catching. I looked at a diagram of the recoil starter anatomy and all seems to be well. I looked at a diagram of the crankshaft/flywheel and all seems to be well there too.

Yes, the recoil is okay, you pull the rope and no problem on that end, it recoils like it should.

Seems like this should be pretty simple, but this is my first go at a snowblower repair, so it could be something basic that I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Reply to
AmyB

How many "pistons" does this sucker have ?

Sometimes the recoil engaging mechanism sticks. Is it clean and lubricated ? It sounds like you are not feeling the normal resistance when you pull the rope - is that true ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Thanks for your response!

So long as my terminology is correct (and it's possible it isn't), it has three pistons. An oversized one is the combustion chamber, then there are two smaller ones, more than half the size of the large one.

Everything is clean and lubricated, but yes, there is not the normal resistance when pulling the rope. Although, to be quite honest, I'm not entirely sure what the recoil engaging mechanism is and what it looks like, though I'm sure I will by the time this is all done. Yes, I am blonde. Thanks for not asking outright ;)

The snowblower is a vintage one, 1976. And I like a good challenge. . .

Amy

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

"pistons" does this sucker have ?

the recoil engaging mechanism sticks. Is it clean and lubricated

Reply to
AmyB

Thanks for your response!

So long as my terminology is correct (and it's possible it isn't), it has three pistons. An oversized one is the combustion chamber, then there are two smaller ones, less than half the size of the large one and they're in a triangular formation.

Everything is clean and lubricated, but yes, there is not the normal resistance when pulling the rope. Although, to be quite honest, I'm not entirely sure what the recoil engaging mechanism is and what it looks like, though I'm sure I will by the time this is all done. Yes, I am blonde. Thanks for not asking outright ;)

The snowblower is a vintage one, 1976. And I like a good challenge. . .

Amy

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

"pistons" does this sucker have ?

the recoil engaging mechanism sticks. Is it clean and lubricated

Reply to
AmyB

The large one is the piston. The 2 smaller ones are the valves - one intake and one exhaust.

Sounds like that's the problem. Most small motor repair manuals have nice diagrams of the engaging mechanisms. I know TSC has them - maybe Wallmart - maybe bookstores. Can't remember where I got mine. (BTW - TSC is Tractor Supply Co. - chain store)

I'm reasonably sure that is not a problem.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Thanks for all your comments and help!

Amy