OK, new lawn rodent problem

Living in NJ, I thought I had seen everything. As far as rodents, I always have some moles and chipmunks. But now I just noticed a section of lawn where I have circular mounds of dirt on top of the grass. These mounds are about the size of a large saucer or small pie and stand several inches high. It's obvious fresh dirt from below. There is no hole, just a round pile of dirt. In the 30 X 30 ft section of lawn there are about 8 piles that stand out like a sore thumb.

The moles I've had for many years only dig surface tunnels, where they push up the turf from below, not producting any surface piles. The chipmunks just dig a nice perfect 1 1/2" round hole in the turf and leave no dirt, so they haven't ever been a problem. But what the hell is making this mess now? And how do I get rid of whatever it is?

Reply to
trader4

moles do that.thet are making living quarters underground. not much you can do but move the dirt away. you can trap them in the pushed up tunnels though..lucas

ds549

Thanks for the input. I came to the conclusion that they must be moles today too. Upon closer inspection, I could find some typical mole tunnels in the area too. I guess those are the ones they run around in, but they have deeper structures that they live in. I guess the dirt for those has to go somewhere and that's what I'm seeing.

I put some of the mole killer bait stuff in the tunnels. We'll see what happens. I've had some success with it in the past.

Reply to
trader4