Nutsedge Grass

How do I get rid of Nutgrass from my lawn. I have enough of it where it will take too long to pull by hand. I would like to seed this week so please keep this in mind I live in NJ. Thanks
Peter Pan said:

Cyperus esculentus L. is *not* a grass, it's a sedge. To kill it, use Sedgehammer.
--

Eggs

-There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
Steveo said:

Me either. We apply it in the summer, but we don't seed in the summer. =)
--

Eggs

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

There's nothing much available that doesn't suggest delaying seeding. (four weeks for sedgehammer) If it's -all- nutsedge you could hit it with roundup (non-selective) and seed right away.

Yep, agree with Eggs and Steveo. Also, the best time to hit nutsedge with anything is when it's actively growing. And that's during hot periods with lots of water. Now it should be diminishing naturally, rendering anything you use on to it less effective. So, I'd just do the seeding now, and then deal with the nutsedge next summer. The selective herbicides are very effective.
Thanks for all the info, I've been doing some reading and correct me if I am wrong, but this is basically a weed that comes back every year unless you treat for it. If I put down a pre emergent in the spring for crab grass, will this prevent it from coming back or do i need a specific product? The Sedgehammer is unavailable in NJ where I'm from (according to their web site). What other product will work like the sedgehammer?
Thanks again
Peter Pan said:

Yes, it's a perennial.

No. The pre-emergent stops seed germination. The nutsedge, while it produces seed if left to mature, will return from small tubers at the ends of the rhyzomes.

Sedgehammer is available in all 50 states, last I knew. You must have read something wrong. There's a website dedicated to nutsedge, that also sells Manage (Sedgehammer). You could order it from there [1]. Keep in mind that it does take several applications. Nutsedge is one of the most difficult weeds to control. As trader said, it's probably best to go ahead and seed as you planned, then deal with the sedge next summer.
--

Eggs

Do cemetery workers prefer the graveyard shift?
[superceded 'cause I forgot to add the footnote]

[1] http://www.nutsedge.com/index.html