Nut Grass

Is there a pre-emergent that kills or helps control Nut grass? I went to the local Lesco and picked up Manage (by Mansanto) The directions say to "add 2 teaspoons nonionic surfactant" I have no idea what that is can someone help me out with that?

Don't know of any pre-emergent specifically for nutgrass. I guess a pre-emergent for crabgrass would probably stop seeds from germinating, but I've never heard of it being used. Nor does it seem necessary. Manage will easily eliminate it when it's growing.
A surfactant is a molecule that is can bond to water on one end and something oily on the other end. Think of soap. In the case of herbicides, it helps the herbicide spread out and attach to waxy leaves instead of sitting there in tiny balls or rolling off.
Not sure why they specify non-ionic, though I think that type may perform better in hard water. You could buy a surfactant at Lesco, but considering problems like it's probably in a lifetime size qty for home use, f it were me, I'd use a little bit of liquid dishwashing soap and it should work fine.
on 6/20/2008 11:35 AM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net said the following:

http://www.pestproducts.com/herbicides/spreadersticker.htm
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Peter Pan said:

Cyperus esculentus is *not* a grass.

You would probably have better luck with Sedgehammer (also from Lesco). If they're still selling Manage, my guess would be it's old product. Sedgehammer is the replacement for Manage. Gowan bought the rights to the name Manage, last year IIRC.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nonionic+surfactant&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz 3GGGL_enUS232US232
--

Eggs

Is there another word for synonym?
You don't say what type of nutsedge you're trying to control. If it's yellow nutsedge, controlling it is about all that can be done until it runs out of energy and stops sending up shoots. Purple nutsedge, on the other hand, might have some method of killing it, from what I've seen in some obscure article on the internet; but don't hold your breath. Spray the shoots with anything that will kill the shoots, but don't expect to kill the seed-nut because it will continue sending out shoots until it depletes its energy source. Of course, you can alway try to dig it out, but it no guarantee that you'll find the nut. Just keep spraying, and pull out the occasional lone shoot. The nuts are edible, in case you wish to gather a fistful and clean them and roast them. Just about the time you begin to enjoy them, they'll probably die off!
By the way, nutsedges are allelopathic (like walnut trees) and secrete a chemical that discourages growth of other plants in order to assure its own survival. Definitely a good idea to get rid of it if you can.
bop snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

*I'm* not trying to control anything. Please learn how to quote/reply/attribute/post.

Horsehockey. Sedgehammer will knock it right out. A treatment again, before the plant goes dormant, will take the dose of herbicide right down to the tuber, effectively killing it (if the first app doesn't do it, though under proper conditions it should).

Ahh! So you get your information on the internet. We /all/ know that it *must* be true, then! Especially if it's an obscure article. The more obscure, the more truth, yup!
> but don't hold your breath. Spray the shoots with

Sure, spray "anything" that will kill the shoots. Hell, glyphosate will kill the shoots. It'll also kill any plant in the local area, that it touches. Much better advice would be to spray a product with methanearsonate in it.

No, if you're just spraying anything, willy-nilly, you probably won't get the tuber. BTW, it's a tuber, not a "nut".

The first full-truth you've made. The tuber is edible.

More internet wisdom? Cyperus esculentus and C. rotundus are known for their allelopathic abilities against (please try and keep up, here) *CERTAIN* plants (most notably corn and cotton). This does *not* apply to turf grass. Unless their yard is full of corn or cotton, I doubt they'd have to worry.

Again, *I'm* not the one with the nutsedge problem. But, were I, that would be good advice.
--

Eggs

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up,
Uh-huh!! If you have all the answers to that problem, how come you aren't rich?
On Jun 22, 10:32am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I've had very good success at eliminating yellow nutsedge with Manage. You may not get all of it with one application, but you will get most of it and with a few applications you can get rid of all of it.
The biggest problem in treating it is that it's not present most of the time. It grows when it's hot and wet. For many lawns, that's only a fraction of the time. So, seeing it and getting after it quickly when it's there is the main issue. Best to spray it a few days after mowing, when the shoots are readily apparent.
Using manage: The directions say to wear long sleeves and socks, does it irritate the skin? I plan on putting it down in the next day or so.. ALso is there anything I should know about it? I'll be using the spot treatment application using a hand held pump sprayer Thanks
Peter Pan said:

Finding the MSDS proved to be a chore, since it's been discontinued for almost two years. This, along with the product packaging, should help answer your questions: http://www.horizononline.com/resources/msds/pdf/manage.pdf
--

Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?
bop snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

So which is it? Are you just a USENET dumbass, or is News Rover a piece of shit newsreader? (Or, both?)
--

Eggs

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.