Not sure if this is the right forum, but some critter is in my house

Page 1 of 2
It has a medium high-pitched, short chirp or cheep, one-time, stops a bit then repeats, all times of the day or night then stops for lengthy periods. I thought chipmunk, but they are usually more repetitive vocally when they get going. I can't pinpoint where this is, I have a cat so it is probably hiding, suspect the heat ducts but not sure because the sound seems to alternate between the dining room and spare bedroom, kitchen or back hall, it is hard to track the sound. This has been going on for about a week now. I thought I might be hearing things, but my daughter was here and heard it and asked what it was.
I bought a havahart live trap for smallish creatures, had a dickens of a time getting it set, daughter figured out the final step, and loaded it with sunflower seeds and a peanut. Nothing has happened yet.

I'll try to be more quiet. But could you leave out some peanut butter and jelly and a couple slices of bread so I can make myself a PB & jelly sandwich ?

No, your grubby paw will break my new trap :-).

Since there are many various methods of 'trapping' critters, you need to identify what it is first. Ask a friend and have one (who seems knowledgeable in these matters) come over to help identify it. Then you can ask for the trap (or other method of removal) at the local hardware store.

I don't have many friends, and the ones I have I doubt would know. That means animal control. Don't want to call them - yet. They get here and the thing shuts up for hours with my luck.
I already bought a trap, hope it is not the wrong one. I may have put the wrong kind of bait in it or it is just going to hide and cheep. Hope it isn't a bat.

Yeah, see my last message. The last two a couple years ago came out and flew around at night, and I was able to throw a bucket over them when they landed in the open, take them out and release them in the morning away from my home.

Bats are my friends out here where I live, they munch the mosquitoes and never bother me. (don't want them in the house tho)
Reckon there is a bat trap?

I'll have to find out. And what and how to bait it. It unnerves me when people post scary messages about rabies, but ever since I killed one years ago with a broom handle because my husband freaked out, the little thing cried so pitifully, I could never do that again unless it tried to harm me.
I'm worried about how it got in, if it is indeed a bat which it probably is. There are several possible spots. Didn't have any for a couple of years and thought I was past that.

one once and it was on my boat about 14 miles off shore of avon ohio in lake erie. This bat was all over us for some strange reason... there was a big coast gaurd research boat watching us kill the bat too. (they were throwing test bats at us i think) :)

I wouldn't put it past them :-). That was funny about the coast guard part. The rest was not. Seriously you had no choice in your situation to kill it if you couldn't get it to leave you alone.

and in the mean time guys in uniforms are watching us thru binoculars from a cutter. It was freaky.
At any rate, hope you come to an agreement with your intruder, what ever it turns out to be. :)

Maybe they thought you were Cuban refugees who had somehow gotten off course and come down the St. Lawrence River. Heh, the t-word comes to mind. They were just bored and had to scope you out and act officious and obnoxious and sic the bat on you. Their radar may have affected the bat because that behavior was unusual especially if in the daytime.

Yes, we may have to settle for a peaceful coexistence. It cheeped a little bit ago. I called animal control, said I didn't want them to come out, asked if they knew what it could be, they said I had to call a professional trapper. Yeah, right, you know what they would charge. My granddaughter's bf's father does pest control; he may have some ideas about it and might help me catch it so I've got a call in to her so we can get in touch with him. If he can do anything, he would at least give me a price break. Whatever it is, I don't want to kill it. At least it isn't a snake.

Shouldn't be a bat in the daytime. I use hav-a-harts myself. Be patient and experiment with the bait.

I always figure if they got in they can get out - but even in a house they would find a hiding place and just "hang" during the day wouldn't they ?

when they sleep?
What about a bird's nest? Chicks?? (Winged type)..
--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
"I Love Lucy" < snipped-for-privacy@monkey.biz> wrote in message

That's a long shot, although . . .maybe a baby. I swear it is following me through the house except to the back room where I have my computer. I don't know what could last this long without getting fed unless there are more than one . . ..
Birds have gotten in from time to time. A medium-sized brown woodpecker somehow got in my computer room a few years ago. I have no idea how a bird that large got in. We had a broken window in the attic and a hole in the ceiling where my son's friend stepped through . . .who knows. The window is now replaced, but there is a piece of wainscoating loose in the eaves that needs to be repaired. A bat could easily get in through there. I wouldn't think a bird would want to nest in the attic as it is way too hot. A bat could quickly find its way to a cooler part of the house by the air currents.
I'll try to figure it out tomorrow. I'm out of ideas. When it was in the lr, I thought of just opening the front door and it might leave, but I don't want bugs in here.

A cricket, maybe?