Noob improving lawn help

Hi,
I need some advice on improving my lawn.
As you can see from the images the grass is very sparse and thin. guess you could describe it as field-type grass.
'[image:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2158/dscf1210sq3.th.jpg] (http://tinyurl.com/6op2ru )
'[image:
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/167/dscf1212dg8.th.jpg] (http://tinyurl.com/5bpr3b )
I know little about gardening so I'm hoping that I won't have t rotavate and replace the lawn completely.
Does anyone have any tips for improving the grass?
Thank
-- burns
burns wrote:

General rules for lawn care: * Healthy grass will crowd out most weeds. Thick turf keeps light from reaching the ground, which keeps seeds from sprouting. * Fertilize on a regular schedule. What that schedule is depends on where you are. Whether you use organic or conventional fertilizer is up to you. * Many weeds are killed simply by mowing them repeatedly. Keep the grass mowed to the proper height.
1. Find someone local who will give you plant advice. The nearest nursery might have a master gardener who will advise you in return for selling you stuff. 2. Get your soil tested. That will tell you what you need to add. 3. Based on the test, add the needed nutrients (fertilizers). 4. Mow to the right height. 5. After two mowings, see what weeds are left. Take samples to your local guy. He can recommend weed and insect killers. 6. Keep this up for a year. Your lawn will look much nicer.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

added to last poster: if you're in the south, seed the lawn in spring thickly. if you're in the north, seed the law in the fall thickly. baby the reseeded lawn for a year, regarding water mostly. the second year it'll look pretty much like the permanent result.