No Solenoid for Starter Pinion Pinion Gear Doesn't Engage

I have a Briggs & Stratton 14 1/2 Hp engine.

The starter relay was open-circuit. I replaced that and the starter motor runs, but the pinion doesn't engage the starter gear.

Do I have to get a new starter?

Is there some inertia device that extends the pinion gear - what causes the pinion gear to engage the starter gear?

How difficult is it to repair, or should I just get another starter motor?

Reply to
ecarecar

Might not be difficult at all. Might be just dry and dirty. I would try to spray WD40 on it right on the machine. If that doesn't work take the starter off the machine - don't take it apart - just try to blow it out and see it it is just stuck - you should be able to pull the pinion out by hand - lube and put it back on.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I b'lieve you're correct about inertia; the drive is on a screw thread and probably just needs cleaning and lube.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I wished I had a picture. I couldn't find any on the web.

I took the cover off so that the pinion is visible.

It seems that there are two (maybe) components to its vertical movement. The pinion itself moves upward against a fairly flimsy wire spring. Then, it seems that the entire shaft can move upward? However, that seems to require significant force. Compressing the flimsy spring almost gets it to the starter gear.

History. The starter did nothing until I replaced the solenoid (relay). After I replaced the replay, the starter runs, but the pinion does not engage. Doesn't seem possible to have switched the polarity. Which way is the motor supposed to turn?

Reply to
ecarecar

You have to twist it as you push it out. It's on a spiral shaft.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

It's a kit, not too tough to diy.

Reply to
Steveo

So, as Mr. Hurst suggests, the problem is lubrication?

Oil? Lithium grease? Where?

Reply to
ecarecar

Take the starter off the engine, use WD40 on the spiral shaft to clean it. Excersize the drive while you do this. Depending on how well sealed the starter is I would use nothing if dirt can get in, if it's well sealed a little lithium grease.

Reply to
Chas Hurst