Night of the Trumpet Vine

Help!
We have a trumpet vine that is sending off shoots all over thedamnplace. Once they were growing out of my front window on the other side of the house.
I have seen references to "root pruning" trumpet vines but cant find any info. Does anyone know how to control these beasties?
M&K wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22root+pruning%22+trumpet+vines&btnG=Google+Search