Newer vs older engines

Do you think any of the new engines will stand up as well as the old (60's / 70's) Kohlers and Craftsman (Tecumseh) ?

Kawasakis or some of the Hondas. I think the pro line of Toro has the Kawasakis this year.
Steve wrote:

Well now, if you compare today's Japanese engines with yesteryear's American engines then I'd have to revise my answer and say yes. Many of the OEM's are now offering Honda and Kawas just because so many customers are demanding decent quality engines.
--
Art

I agree. Got a 7 year old 5hp honda powered rotary that's never had an oil change. It's cut grass in two countries and for the last two months has been used to cut a 1 acre rough paddock (madness!) while I work out which tractor to get. If it doesn't start first pull that means I forgot the choke. If I remember the choke then it allways starts first pull. The mower has a dead man handle so the engine cuts off every time I empty the grass box. That means it's stopped and restarted about 30 times an hour. If it wasn't reliable I'd have dumped it ages ago.
CWatters wrote:

You've had a Honda mower for 7 years and never bothered to change the oil? It is people like you that drive the market for disposable engines.
--
Art

Well it was a honda engine on a cheap mower. I wouldn't dream of not servicing an expensive one.
Srgnt Billko wrote:

--
Art

Art wrote:

down to 1 year for these. Also, the quality of service needs to be considered. Just after my tractor/mower was delivered I discovered it was not charging the battery. The repairman's solution was to replace the engine!
Someone suggested viewing tractors as throw-away items which last only 5 or 6 years. That's not very satisfying but it well might be the right approach. I'm fearing the day when the Chinese manufacturers invent "planned obsolescence" the way Detroit did back in the '50s.
Stubby wrote:

The question was regarding engines.
As for the availability of repair parts, you must be referring to the "guaranteed availability" of equipment parts which is far different from real life availability. Most any part that is subject to normal wear and tear will be available for as long as there is any real demand for it. There are many after-market parts suppliers that will supply parts when an OEM discontinues them, /if/ there is sufficient demand. Some parts such as frames and body panels are really only available while they are in production. It is these parts that cause the "guaranteed availability" to be so short. It is really more of a CYA thing.
--
Art