Newbie with couple of probs with new turf

Hi all total newbie to any type of gardening so please be gental I recently layed new turf preped the ground getting rid of as much weeds as possible then added couple tonne of topsoil to level

[image:

Then layed the turf and it went down well [image:

Now after 4 weeks of being down I am having a few problems the turf itself is growing really well and is rooted nicely got 2 weed type problems

[image:
[image:

And these are close ups of the leaves [image:

If anyone could tell me what they are and the best way to get rid would really help the first weed is also pushing up the turf in one place also

[image:

Noticed a lump when mowed last so cut the turf to release the weed/pressure (right/wrong ?) also have a couple of patches that seemed to have died but are slowly coming back [image:

This patch was a lot bigger but slowly shrinking but another patch is not getting any better so I need to know

1 what weeds are they and how to get rid 2 how to make the patches grow again thanks all and sorry for the long post
Reply to
Mike1975

Anybody ?

Also I was told you could inject something like round up into the centre of the weed without it affecting the grass is this the case or will it seep out through the roots into the soil and affect the grass many thanks all for looking

Reply to
Mike1975

It looks like you did not entirely kill off the weeds/weedy grasses that were growing there before you laid the sod. One of the photos show a resprouting weed pushing up the sod.

Hand-removal or spot application of a broad-leaf weed killer will take care of the non-grassy weeds. The grassy weed is going to be harder to control. You could try *carefully* wiping only the fast growing weedy grass with an sponge brush dipped in Round-up. Avoid getting any onto the desirable grass--Round-up will kill it, too.

If you ever take on a similar project again, I'd recommend getting the weedy area into luxurious growth and hitting it with Round-up. Rake it off, wait to see if any new growth shows, and hit it again.

*Then* add top soil/ till/level prior to laying sod.
Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

It's also possible it came with the new turf.

+1 I'd apply a broadleaf weedkiller for lawns with a tank sprayer to those weeds. They are easy to deal with.

The grassy weed is going to be

+1. The tall thing looks like some kind of undesirable grass. There are selective herbicides that will kill some of those, but not many types. And even if it exists, it's typically expensive, not sold in homeowner quantities, may need a license, etc. You're not going to find it at the local garden store.

If there are just a few of those here and there, the above sponge approach is the way to go. Above all, you don't want that stuff to go to seed and spread. It may spread without going to see too, so the faster you deal with it, the better. If it covers a whole spot, then you can hit the one spot with roundup which will kill everything. Then put in a new section of turf or re-seed when you're sure it's dead, which usually takes a week or 10 days.

Reply to
trader4