New Lawn

I bought a house where the lawn has been let go. We live in a very dry area with a drought (Colorado) and I want to bring the lawn back. I would rather do so with seed. The existing lawn is dead sod with weeds that have been mowed down. There is top soil about 6 inches down from previous owner. I was going to rototill the current mess up, rake it out, put down seed this Spring and water the heck out of it. Any recommendations to that plan?