new lawn

Hello Everyone Your advice would be greatly appreciated. First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening. We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about 30ft X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying grass. I have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday, and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont seem to be eradicating the horsetail. I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can you recommend something better. Thanks in advance
Alan
--
alanbrook

I am sorry I do not personally have a answer because this is a class assignment and i pick your article.

Alan,
I don't think I would worry about a weed membrane. I think I would definetly put down as much topsoil as I could get over the clay, and then lay the sod. Then get to know Weed and Feed. Not many things other than your grass can live through a properly applied regimine of Weed and Feed.

Weed membrane is used for beds, where you put it down before covering it with material, eg mulch, rock, etc. that weeds will not grow in. Even there it's benefit is questionable. It has no use in turf and will at a minimum be useless and depending on what kind and how deep it is, screw up the sod.
Weed N Feed is one of the worst products you can put down, especially in terms of overusing herbicides. It should not be needed on a lawn established from sod. I can see using it to get a lawn under control that is full of weeds, but if you have scattered weeds the better solution for typical size lawns is to apply a selective herbicide directly to the weeds using a tank sprayer. For the typical size lawn, a 2 gallon one works well. That puts the herbicide where it's needed, which mazimizes it's effectiveness on killing the weeds and minimizes the amount of herbicide used, which is better for the environment, pets, etc.
The most important thing is to finish killing off the weeds and then establish at least 6" of good topsoil. That could be achieved by tilling in amendments to what you have or buying good screened topsoil. To kill tougher weeds make sure you mix the Roundup or equivalent stronger, 3% or so. You are buying the concentrate right? Not the pre-mixed that is the least product for the most money?

Personally I would just put down the top soil and then the turf, the weeds would have a hard time growing through.

I would have to agree. Use the top-soil and then the sod. Good Luck.

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the top is general gardening.

I'm in the same boat, trying to take back our yard. Plus, the moles seem to love the grub infested yard.

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic is generaly about gardening. Alan I would add some compost,and nitrigen or lime for the garden

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic is generaly about gardening. compost really works to grow shit.
I am also sorry. I do not personally have a answer because this is a class assignment and i picked your article.

Alan,
Don't be stingy on the topsoil! We were and our clay-concentrated yard get rock solid very easily.
Keeping the horsetail gone is an ongoing process, much of its food is stored in the root system, so they keep coming back. You'll probably be weeding it for years :-(
Good luck,
Karen
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com;892038 Wrote: > On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk

> about

> can

Hello Everyone
Thanks for the great advice. Ive put down a lot of Roundup, and all weeds and most of the horsetail has died, but it does keep coming back.
I had a couple of gardners quote around 1000 to put down two tonnes of topsoil and then turf over 30ft by 20ft, so I'm going to do it myself.
I will add 4 tonnes of topsoil to bring the garden up to a better level, and then turf it.
Do you guys reckon I should rotavate the ground?
Thanks
Alan
--
alanbrook