Neighbor's dog crapping in my yard

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from using my yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a power wheelchair and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on a wheel (especially since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't want to put up a fence, and speaking to the neighbors about it has been no help.
Thanks, Jibby
Jibby wrote:

call codes enforcement

That may start a war. Get a slingshot and some harmless but attention getting ammo. Make a sport of it with a mean yell after firing.
Dogs respond well to training but only if you catch them in the act.
As a peace offering, get your neighbor a pooper scooper and ask him nicely (again) to stop his dog from going in your yard and if he does, then please clean it up pronto.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pooper+scooper&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&as_qdr=all&tab &oi=froogler
Heidi the Horrible wrote:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pooper+scooper&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&as_qdr=all&tab &oi=froogler

Put a lawn sprinkler or two where the dog come. Turn it on every time the dog arrives.

Great idea. Can you figure out how to make it motion activated ? I'll bet there is a way.
HtH

I dunno, if the dog is anything like any of the many I've had over the years it will see the sprinklers as an attraction and merely romp through them! ( Or literally stomp on them while biting at the spray!).
If speaking to the neighbors is no help, then they have already declared war on you. Call animal control. If yours is like most areas there are leash laws and the animal will be picked up if they see it out sans leash and the owner notified ( If it has a proper license so they can trace the animal to them, if it doesn't then they are risking more than just the sanitary nature of your lawn because it doesn't get it's required vaccinations!). Your neighbor shouldn't be told who made the call at all. (again if your area is anything like most). And if you explain your situation, I'm sure they'll act in keeping with your needs as a handicapped individual.
By the way, since the leash laws generally require the animal be leashed or in a properly enclosed area when outdoors, this might end up requiring your neigbor to put up a fence around their yard or at least provide a kennel enclosure. Viola, no need for you to go to the expense of fencing your property to solve this problem!
Again, allowing their animal onto your property at all after you have told them not to do so is simply aggressive behavior on their part, and probably illegal in any event. Your rational choices are to defend your rights using the legal recourse available through your municipality or to put up with it and resign yourself to that and perhaps more such behavior from your unkind neighbors.
I once saw a person get fined for having their toy poodle in their own front yard without a leash and that dog wasn't going anywhere else or about to bother anyone. The leash laws, if you have them where you are, are usually very explicit.
joe

Here is the product called scarecrow:
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/scarecrow.htm
What about the neighbors cats that sleep on our vehicles and crap in our yard? Just caught it sleeping on our van, tried sneaking out with the BB gun, but it's pretty wary of me.
This might work for you http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/scarecrow.htm

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pooper+scooper&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&as_qdr=all&tab &oi=froogler
Let me get this straight. You think the victim should buy something for the criminal?

Yes. An unexpected peace offering can do wonders for guilt tripping someone into stepping up to their responsibilities.
HtH

Oh Heidi....you must be very young. You don't yet know that dog owners are an exception to your statement. Think about it. If someone step's in your dog's crap, he has to clean off his shoes, his wheels (in this case), and perhaps his house or automobile carpets. The victim may have to pay someone to clean the carpets. If not, he has to waste his time doing it when he could've been doing something he wanted to do. Therefore, the dog owner has stolen time, and perhaps money, and is fully aware of this. Since they are aware of it but allowed their dog out anyway, we conclude that the result was intentional.
This most certainly does NOT deserve a peace offering.

You can fight your neighbors fire with fire. I choose to fight fire with a peace offering. To each is his own. The objective is to solve the problem and have a nice relationship with the neighbor. That is a more complex objective than just winning the dog poop fight.
Also, you are too harsh on dog owners. Some are irresponsible. Some just don't realize the problems their dogs are causing. A few years back, I lived in the country. My dog was well trained and well behaved and was allowed to roam free at times for an hour or so. Unbeknownst to me, she snuck up to the neighbors sheep field, jumped the fence and herded them all in the barn. She didn't hurt the sheep, but the owner was concerned she would and called my place furious. I appologized and promised to not let it happen again. It didn't. Or so I thought. A couple of years later, I found out through the grapevine that it happened again and that the sheep farmer was furious. However, he never let me know that it happened again. He told everybody in the neighborhood except me.
I was clearly at fault but I didn't know there was a problem. When I found out the second time, I installed electric fencing and made damn sure it didn't happen again.
If the neighbor had just been polite and kept me informed of the problem, we would have solved it sooner. Had he called animal control or shot my dog, then it would have been war and the neighborhood would have been a nasty place.
Life is too short to start a war over dog poop.

Sometimes, we step into logic traps. You just did that.
Scenario: You open the newspaper and read that two toddlers were found dead after ingesting toxic cleaning products while their parents were busy watching "The Price is Right" on TV two rooms away. You scream bloody murder to a friend about this. The friend says "Some just don't realize the problems their toxic cleaning products might cause for toddlers".
You say:
"Bullshit. They had no business caring for children".
Don't deny it. That is exactly what you'd say. So, using YOUR logic, some people have no business owning dogs.

Whatever. I have no idea what kids ingesting toxic chemicals has to do with dog poop. That's a big leap in irresponsible parenting.

Slow down, Heidi. My point was obvious. You allow that it might be OK for a dog owner to say "Duh...I didn't know it was a problem for my dog to be let out without a leash". That is no different than a parent saying "Duh....I didn't know it was a problem to leave 6 kinds of toxic cleaning products accessible to 3 toddlers". In the second example, you would say "Well....your kids are in the hospital, you are a moron, and if the world were run correctly, you never should've been allowed to have kids".
In the first example, you give the dog owner some slack for some reason. This is what dog owners depend on to get away with their antics. Why this is, I have no idea, except that people seem to make allowances for "cuteness" or something. "Oh...the dog didn't know it was causing a problem". Irrelevant. The dog, being mindless, is an extension of its owner. No different than a car or a gun.
If you get drunk and hit a pedestrian with your car, you get arrested. If you shoot an innocent person, you get arrested (and only idiots blame the gun). If you throw household trash onto your neighbor's lawn, the cops will stop by and hassle you, and maybe even arrest you, depending on your attitude. Why are the rules different if someone uses a dog to spread trash?
It's called civil trespass, by the way.

Irresponsible dog owners make me sick.
It isn't the dog's fault, but the dog has to be taught or terminated.
Maybe if the dog gets termininated, it will get the attention of the stupid owner.
<snip>

Which is absolutely correct.

Right. See? Heidi was named after some fairy-tale character, and as a result, lives in a fantasy world. She doesn't get it.

Very easy. The general theme is that you never, EVER cut a dog owner any slack. Period. No slack. If you were repeatedly crapping on their lawn, they would cut YOU no slack. You'd be arrested, and probably interviewed by a psychologist, who would report to the judge that you needed a bit of therapy. The dog owner is no different - the dog is just an extension of the human who's supposed to be responsible for it.
1) Call your town and find out how many times a dog has to be off its property before the dog catcher is allowed to remove the animal permanently. For instance, in my town, it's 3 offenses. The dog catcher has to come over and issue citations. They come with steadily increasing fines, none of which are enough, but anyway....when incident #3 comes along, the dog catcher is required to take away the dog. Depending on just how big of an asshole the owner is when it appears before the judge, there's a good chance it will not get the dog back.
2) Inform the neighbor that they have a problem, give them 30 seconds to think, and then ask them for a commitment to stop the problem immediately. That means "never again". Not "I'll start next week because this week, 'As The World Turns' is so exciting that I can't get off my fat ass to walk the dog and clean up after it".
3) Their response to #2 will usually be "Oh....sorry....I didn't know it bothered anyone", or "I didn't know the dog was leaving the property". Both are lies. Accept what they say because you can't fix their minds anyway. There could be other responses, and the specifics will be useful insofar as telling you whether to watch for their dog immediately, or the next day. But, the behavior will not stop.
4) Start calling the dog catcher. Many years ago, ours told me he had to witness the dog being off the property before he could do anything. That's not true, and a judge will confirm it if you're given that line. Normally, it takes a few weeks or more for 3 complaints to be made, but some dog owners are so intensely stupid that you can actually have the animal gone in a week. I've done it. It's great fun.
Keep in mind that the dog catcher is required to respond and do his or her job. Do not accept any excuses. Remember, too, that dog owners' offenses are 100% intentional. They know exactly what they're doing, and they don't care what effect is has on anyone else.
Good luck!