Need advice on trees

Hi--new to this group. I am in S.Tx. and have some oaks, as well as an Arizona ash, some kind of elm, and several others.They all have that ugly moss growing on them. It may possibly be a little worse on the ones on the side of the house where it gets less sun, but there is quite a bit everywhere. Any advice on how to get rid of it, and hopefully keep it from returning? I started reading the thread on moss until the nonsense posts started. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Did you try using lime to adjust the pH. That seemed to be the consensus solution from the last thread.

Reply to
kzin

If you're talking about Spanish moss hanging from the branches, it's a completely different subject -- can't be prevented and doesn't do the trees any harm. An increase in Spanish moss may be due to increased sunlight into the crown of the tree, probably due to leaf loss, such as after a hurricane or as a result of a tree disease. Around here our live oaks have a lot of Spanish moss, and occasionally a company will come by and harvest it for use in the nursery trade. -- Regards

Reply to
JimR

2 most common oaks growing natively in S. TX are the live oak and the red oak.

Spanish moss grows where the tree is stressed, excess humidity or moisture is not needed like in "moss". Most likely seen on the live oak. Never seen such on elm or arizona ash.

Due to the lack of rain for many, many months in S. TX, doubt if you mean "moss" per se.

First you have to unstress the tree, or trees associated. When the source of stress is removed for long enough, you can knock the spanish moss from the tree with a long pole. Immediately burn them. May return if a tree or trees become stressed again.

I started reading the thread on moss until the

That previous thread was about genuine moisture seaking moss, not Spanish moss. Entirely different.

Dave

Reply to
Dioclese