Mystery lawn mower..

I'm hoping someone out there will be able to identify a lawn mower I was given.. The motor was shot so I had our local lawn mower repair guy rebuild it. He didn't know what the mower was but identified the motor as a 1963 Briggs & Stratton (around 5 horse).

I'll have a picture soon, but I can describe it. The colors it's currently painted are green and yellow (I think the green is original, not sure on the yellow).

The wheels are hard rubber in the front and pneumatic in the back around 6" rims. The deck is around 20" single blade that drives directly off the motor shaft via telescoping shaft (to accommodate a lifting deck). The deck lift is a pedal under the left foot you push down on the raise to deck. It lowers in increments with a lever near that pedal.

The steering is a handle bar that swings left and right. It has a 3 speed plus reverse rear end run by a belt that twists 90 degrees from the motor. The clutch/brake releases the belt tension, then at the end pulls the brake which is a drum style brake on the left side.

The motor sits between your knees, and has a squarish grill that goes around the front, sides, and top of the motor. The steering bar comes out a hole in the top of the grill. There are fenders over the front wheels which double as footrests.

We've been all over this machine trying to identify the manufacturer with no luck. I'm sure it'll be more helpful to have a picture, but this is the best I can do so far.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Reply to
Michael Keefe

Could be a Huffy or AMF. A few pictures would be good.

Reply to
Artemis

On 4/28/06 5:23 PM, in article OJv4g.16374$fG3.2150@dukeread09, "Artemis" spewed forth this gibberish...

Actually just found the sticker under a coat of paint. Says "Model 60, Quick MFG, Springfield, OH"

Couple other hits through Google said Quick was actually Springfield (which I've heard of), and that Toro bought that company. The mower is now running and in extremely good condition (minor surface rust, all parts and pieces together, deck in great shape).

If anyone has any service docs for this machine I'd be very interested. The belts don't seem to be the right size or something because the clutch doesn't stop the belt (no adjustment by the looks).

Reply to
Michael Keefe

Sounds like 4HP Montgomery Wards mower. Is it gold and cream color?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives