My brick arrives tomorrow...

Well, our old ugly concrete patio has been removed, the gravel and sand come today, and the paving brick comes tomorrow.

So while you are grilling and drinking and shooting off fireworks, think about me laying 1200...yes twelve hundred...square feet of brick. :-)

Ugh, my knees hurt already.

Reply to
Mitch

You should be done by this time next year.

Reply to
Doug G

LOL! I hope not.

Anyone have interest in pictures of the process? I'm trying to document it each day.

Today we got about 1/6th of it tamped (gravel and sand). Tomorrow we'll (and by "we" I mean ME!) start actually laying the brick.

It's Unilock pavers, Old Greenwich. We were planning on doing an "F" pattern, but it seems pretty complicated. I'm thinking of trying to just do random. But I'm wonderinf if "trying" to do random will require more thought than just doing the pattern.

If anyone has done this stuff before and has tips, I'm all ears.

Reply to
Mitch

Sure. Post it to a website later.

Reply to
GFRfan

Post it to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and tell us when you do.

Reply to
Steveo

I did about 800 sq ft of Pavestone last year an a random pattern and my best friend was another pair of eyes (my wife).

Are you using all the same size pavers or do you have the different sizes ie. square rectangle and "twinkies" if so I ran out of the twinkies first completeing rows and ended up renting a saw to cut up some of the other sizes to complete the patterns ( I counld buy just individual pavers of that size)

Reply to
Tom D

Yeah, we have the four different sizes. Twelve pallets of brick! We're using what Unilock calls an "F" pattern. We considered random, but I decided I didn't want to think that hard. :-)

Turns out we had the pattern memorized after about 6 times, so now we're cranking. We (my wife and I) can lay down about 50 sq. ft. per hour.

We will be done laying as much brick as possible tomorrow, because we're waiting for the next load of gravel and sand.

It's nice that my father-in-law has a transit (first time I've played with one of those) and a power tamper. Oh, plus a backhoe and dump truck. :-)

Yeah, we wouldn't have tackled this if we didn't have a builder in the family. He gets me started on each phase, then I take it from there.

So we're about 1/3rd done in just a few days! WooHoo! Keep our eye on the prize: a shaded patio and (hopefully) a hot tub.

Reply to
Mitch