Mushrooms in my lawn

Because this summer was so wet in my area, I've had a moderate problem with mushrooms in my lawn. They mostly are golf ball-sized or smaller, but on occasion I've gotten ones bigger than a baseball. The big question is, what do I do about them? They generally survive my weekly mowings since when I mow, I leave my grass rather tall. I've been going around popping the caps off, but I don't know if that's just serving to spread the spores around more. And, I'm assuming the right thing to do is to solve the underlying problem with excess moisture in my grass, but how? The lawn in most other respects seems to be doing fine.
When your lawn dries out the mushrooms will disappear. Do not worry, they are causing no harm.
MPost wrote:

Dry laundry detergent. Just sprinkle a little on the area with the mushrooms and they will be gone within a few days. Don't ask me why it works, but it works great and will not do any damage to your lawn.
Bill

with
what
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to have to try this one, if nothing more than to satisfy my curiosity.

caps
other
Really? I'll give it a go if you're sure - I look after a number of lawns and only one of them is suffering from mushrooms (although I suspect I know why, it doesn't make me feel any better about it). Out of curiosity, how did you find out that laundry powder works?
Emma
WORSS Wrote:

--
HedgeWytch

I'm not sure how I found out. Heard it years ago on one of those lawn shows...maybe Gerry Baker? Anyway, I have done it and it works great. It turns the mushrooms black and they die quickly.
Bill

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:11:23 GMT, "WORSS"

I tried this and it didn't work but the mushrooms sure do smell fresh!!

Lit Ticker
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
MPost wrote:

Use real (construction) lime. Pulverized limestone will not work within your lifetime.
MPost wrote:

Mushrooms are caused by wood decaying in the soil. Remove the wood and the mushrooms will disappear as well.
Peter H