Mushrooms

How do you get rid of mushrooms growing in your grass...I hava a crescent shaped patch I can't get rid of and I need some ideas on how to kill these things, short of using Roundup.
Thanks.
Gerry
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:02:51 GMT, "Gerry Campbell"

First don't use round up ever on your lawn. My experience with it has made feel using a gallon of gass and a match would have been less distructive in killing a weed. ;)
Are you providing them with good source of water and food? They might just breaking down thick thatch, or wood. Prevention might be your best bet.
later,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********************************** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds. *******************************************************************************
Gerry Campbell wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mushrooms+in+lawn

result of organic debris left in the soil..also known as fairy ring.
The only real cure is to dig down and remove whatever is rotting in the soil. Round up won't help.
Whoa!!!!!!!! Don't use any kind of weed/grass killer on the lawn to get rid of fungi. Mushrooms, toadstools, and other fungi feed on organic matter which they either aid in breaking down (benefit the local plants) or destroy the living plant tissue. B/c they're growing in a crescent shape indicates the fungi are living on something below the soil (root, limb, construction debris). You might want to remove the source. Are they destroying the grass/lawn? If so, then you can apply a fungicide to the area and several feet around it to inhibit fungal spores from developing. Ifi no damage is occuring, then welcome them, as they're releasing nutrients back into your soil for other plants to use.

I read somewhere that plug aerating can help. Has to be plug type aerating. Some of my neihbours have those fairy rings on their front lawn. Looks like they are hosting the Olympics!
Dave :)