Mulching - grass clumps on the lawn

I'm in the north-east US with a grass mix of Bluegrass/Fescue/Ryegrass, although right now it includes weeds and another kind of light-green, wider-blade grass which has taken over major parts of the lawn.
Anyway, my question is about mulching - I usually wait atleast 2 days after rain to mow, and I usually mow late afternoon/early evening, and I'm mowing high, once a week.
My lawn mower or riding mower get clogged up with the mulched grass clippings. So much so that sometimes I have to stop and clear the blades of clumps. These then end up on the lawn and cover parts of the lawn, which left alone would probably kill the grass under that spot.
So what I'm doing is running the rake through these clumps after mowing, but I'm thinking either I'm not doing something right, or there has to be a better way of dealing with this...suggestions?
-- Himanshu
Try moving at a slower speed and see if it helps.

Himanshu wrote:

Overlap your cuts. The bigger your bite (like the first full bite that overlaps nothing), the slower the speed.
Make sure your blade(s) is(are) sharp. If your mower wasn't built as a "mulching mower", you may need a special blade(s), so make sure you have the right one.
Mow often enough that you're not taking more than 1/3 the blade at a time. Considering a target of 2-1/4" after mowing, that means you need to be mowing before the grass reaches 3-3/4". Going from 3" to 2-1/4" would be better. In spring, this could mean mowing more than once a week. And the closer you're getting to the maximum height, the more overlapping your cuts need to be.
--
Warren H.

i think your trying to mulch to much at one cutting. mulching isfor 2 inchesof grass , not 6 .
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:55:50 GMT, Himanshu
snip:

You'll have to mow more often. Cut less than 1/3 of the height of the grass. It sounds like the lawn is too high and too much grass being cut.
Thunder