Mud pit...what to do???

Okay let me start by saying I know nothing about gardening or landscaping.
About 2 weeks ago I had someone dig up my asphalt driveway (which is about 1000 square feet), and put cement in except for half of the 3rd spot which I told hm I wanted to plant grass. He put topsoil in this spot seems to be about 12 inches deep loosely packed. Anyway 2 days later it rained real good, now I've got a mud pit, still 2 weeks after it's not by any means dry you can't even step in it without it going up to your calf. What should I do? Plant grass now? How can I pack it down?
Thank you in advance for any help, Gill
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (gill) wrote:

high when you're done, because it will still settle after all is said and done.
there goes stevo again sticking his nose where it shouldnt' be...
this moron has no clue as to what he is talking about. you can't roll mud... LMFAO What a dumbass...
just killfile this moron.
ya gotta wait till the water drys up...
Steveo mindlessly wrote while stroking in a sock:

snipped-for-privacy@mthis.edu wrote:

advertise.
high quality computer parts
..And sometimes you post as diespammer, you sure ain't hard to figure..except when you hump my leg like a french poodle.
Btw, here's that smack you've asked for.
H U M I L I A T I N G ##### ###### # # # # # ### # # # # # # ## # # # ### # # # # # # # # # # ### ##### ###### # # # # # ### # # # ####### # # # # # # # # # # # ## # # ### ##### # # # # # # # ###
So anyway......
I did think it had dried up the other day so I borrowed a roller but to no avail.....you can't even walk behind without sinking.
Any other ideas, or just wait it out?

If it's that wet, add more fill (dirt, sand, etc.) and try rolling it in. If it gets that loose when wet, you need more fill.

The OP didn't indicate where he lives. If it's not in a warm part of the county and the soil is stable enough so that it won't erode or cause problems over the winter, I would just let it settle by itself. It's really too late to plant most desirable grasses in most parts of the country.
Sounds like you wound up with a lot of loose top soil to fill a deep hole. This problem could have been avoided by using gravel or other appropriate fill as a base first, compacting it and then screened top soil for the last 7 inchs or so. I'd also make sure that excess water from the driveway, etc. is channeled away from this area, not filling it with more water.
gill wrote:

The subdivision where a friend lives was built upon clay with just enough dirt over it to grow a lawn. Low spots in his lawn take days to dry out. It may be the same where you live.
Do your neighbors have problems with wet spots?
Dude, What is your problem? I've only been to this group twice and already I don't like you.
Why in the world would anyone take any advice from someone who calls himself Diespammer with not one, not two, but THREE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!! Oh my! YOU call people morons? And you claim to be from FU.NET How clever, tough guy! I have a comcast address too. Should I close my ports too? Is the DIESPAMMER!!! boogie man going to send me a virus?? What a dumbass.
Go ahead, reply by calling me names. I'm sure it's why you wake up in the morning. Grow up, little boy.
(gill) wrote:

24.147.197.166 trying to defend his lover... LMFAO
Damn thats TOO easy !!!! LMFAO !!!
Thanks for your response that I predicted.
I hope you killfiled me. That way you can't respond with you witty pedophile remarks and I'm sure that must eat away at you.
@ 24.147.197.166 <killfiled>

12.225.75.30

It sounds like you may have a drainage problem in this area...this water should have cleared up in two weeks time. Is it lower than the surrounding lawn...the base under the driveway was hard packed and may be preventing the water from seeping downward here. If it is lower then it will just sit there.