mtd engine

I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass. This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can something else be tried?
On 8/5/2005 12:57 PM US(ET), Douglas F. took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Yeah, make sure the blades are sharp. Even then, slow down in thick grass. I have an 18 HP mower that will bog down in long thick grass if I mow too fast.
--
Bill

I'd go through and ensure the blade is sharp, the underside of the mower deck is clean, the ducting and bags are clean. I replaced my standard blade with a "high lift" blade on my John Deere and it made quite a differance.
Barren
Hi I am a believer in sharpening the blades. Just this week, I had the blades on my 1988 MTD rider (wow, what a coincidence) sharpened for the first time since I received it.(yes, I AM cheap) and WOW, what a difference.
I mowed the grass in half the time as before. It does bog in high grass but not nearly as bad as before
So I have had it for 4-5 years and yes, I SHOULD have sharpened them way before.
As another reference point, the bogging down will cause the mower belt to slip more and wear out quicker

Slow down and take a less than full width cut.
| >I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass. | > This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on | > it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can | > something else be tried? | > | > | | Slow down and take a less than full width cut.
If the grass is damp and you're using a mulcher the wet grass can clump.