mtd engine

I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass. This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can something else be tried?

Reply to
Douglas F.

On 8/5/2005 12:57 PM US(ET), Douglas F. took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Yeah, make sure the blades are sharp. Even then, slow down in thick grass. I have an 18 HP mower that will bog down in long thick grass if I mow too fast.

Reply to
willshak

I'd go through and ensure the blade is sharp, the underside of the mower deck is clean, the ducting and bags are clean. I replaced my standard blade with a "high lift" blade on my John Deere and it made quite a differance.

Barren

Reply to
<BarrenSands

Hi I am a believer in sharpening the blades. Just this week, I had the blades on my 1988 MTD rider (wow, what a coincidence) sharpened for the first time since I received it.(yes, I AM cheap) and WOW, what a difference.

I mowed the grass in half the time as before. It does bog in high grass but not nearly as bad as before

So I have had it for 4-5 years and yes, I SHOULD have sharpened them way before.

As another reference point, the bogging down will cause the mower belt to slip more and wear out quicker

Reply to
jim hunter

Slow down and take a less than full width cut.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

| | Slow down and take a less than full width cut.

If the grass is damp and you're using a mulcher the wet grass can clump.

Reply to
NotMe