MSMA Application

Hi,

I have a problem with crabgrass in my lawn (Bermuda grass) and I'm planning to use MSMA, specifically Green Light MSMA Crabgrass Killer. The instructions for it say, "Do not apply with hose-end applicators" but I'm not sure I know what a "hose-end applicator" is. Is that one of those garden hose sprayer attachments with a bottle that mixes a liquid (like MSMA) with the water coming out of the hose in some ratio? If so, why would the MSMA directions say not to use one and what are the alternatives (it doesn't suggest any -- it just says not to use "hose-end applicators")?

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Reply to
Walter King

"Walter King" wrote in news:pxMWh.1130$1M1.1129@trnddc01:

Some reasons come to mind:

  • There's no guarantee the hose-end sprayer (HES) really mixes in the proportion it claims. MSMA is strong stuff. Too much will kill the bermuda. A pump-up sprayer gives you exact mixtures.

  • You don't get good control because the spray is too broad. It's good to put a little more product right on the crabgrass, with very little where you have nice, clean bermuda. You can't do that with an HES.

  • When the product level gets low in the HES, it's very sensitive to the position in which you hold it. If you tilt it the wrong way, you're only putting out water.

Save the HES for applying stuff like fertiziler and insecticide.

Reply to
Steve