Mowing a recently sown lawn

I seeded a lawn (from scratch) about 3 weeks ago. The grass is no
between about 7 & 13 cm high. Should I give it its first mow or wait while longer?
Also there is a certain patchiness (I probably could have distribute the seeds a little more evenly); will this even out over time or ar there some measures I should take?
Thanks in advance,
LETMO
-- LETMO

seeded grass as soon as there is something to mow, and raise the mower for the second mowing, etc until you have grass at the desired height. This is supposed to help the grass spread.
Bob-tx

You don't specify what type of grass it is, but for typical cool season lawn grasses, It should be mowed when it's about 7.5cm. Cutting it does encourage it to grow faster.
As for being patchy, it depends on 2 things. One is what exactly you mean by patchy. If it's small spots of 10 cms or so, yes the grass will grow to fill in. If it's patchs of a meter in diameter, then likely not, or at least not at a rate you will like.
The other factor is the type of grass. Kentucky Bluegrass will spread via rhizomes, so it can fill in larger bare areas over time. With clump type grass, eg fescues, the individual plants can expand to fill in smaller areas, but it can't cover wider areas like KB will. If you have an agressive grass like Zoysia, it can spread and cover anything given enough time.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net;784864 Wrote:

Thanks for the replies.
The grass is "Arid 3 - Turf Type Tall Fescue
-- LETMO