Mower won't mulch like it used to

Page 2 of 2
Dave,
I think you answered the question(s). Depending on the type of grass, a high height (recommended, which is what you do) cut does what it should. If the grass is cleanly cut but not "macerated" (mulched) then I suspect it's the type of grass being cut and the amount being cut. Try mulching it at less than a 1/3 height cut. I suspect that's your problem (all our problems). Mulching works best on a "crew" haircut style.
Bill

Is it possible that somewhere along the line you ended up getting slightly shorter blades than the original ? A quarter inch difference on each blade ? Could there be a vent hole blocked on the deck ?

Srgnt Bilko wrote:

I'm pretty sure the current blades on the machine are the original. Unless they got switched when they were in for sharpening. The closest approach of one blade to the other is about 1/4 inch or so, and they are staggered in the cutting path - there *should* be overlap in the cutting path.
I don't recall seeing any vent holes in the deck, but I'll take a good look next time I drop the deck.
Thanks, Dave

Make sure your tire pressures are to spec.
My Snapper Hi-Vac was doing a terrible job of mulching--wasn't leaving a trail but it was a pretty uneven cut. I found that my tire pressures were way low. Couldn't believe it made that big of a difference but the cut is much much better now.
CW
Try a Double-Cut
When cutting the grass, cut your entire yard once. Let it dry out for an hour in the sun, then cut it again the same exact way you cut it the first time. Dont change you pattern, and you should end up with a pretty good look.
--------------------- www.askalandscaper.com

Doesn't it work better if you cut 90 degrees to the way you made your first passes?

This depends on the result you are looking for. If your looking to make some sweet looking lines int the grass, try it my way....
The second time really brings out the lines...
If you crosscut it, you get a different result, and i personally dont like the crosscut look.
In general, (my opinion) I like a line to go from the bottom of the driveway to the front door of the house to give it that, come visit us look :) --------------------- Danny

we were talking about?