Mower won't mulch like it used to

On both sets of blades, the originals and the 'gator' blades, 67 deg sounds about right. Certainly not 45 deg.

Reply to
DaveL

Dave,

What do your normal blade and discharge chute cuttings look like? How long are they on a 3- 4" grass height? What is your normal grass cutting height?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Not quite sure what you are asking. I haven't tried it without the discharge blocking plate (blowback bar?) for a long time. I have the mower set at it's highest clipping height, clipping at a lower level seems worse as there is not as much turf left to drop the clippings into. I'm guessing that the grass is about 4" long when I cut it, and I cut off about 1/3 (perhaps a bit more) of that length.

The clippings that remain on the lawn appear like they were cut once and dropped - not recycled into the blade for further 'processing'.

Dave

Reply to
DaveL

Dave,

I think you answered the question(s). Depending on the type of grass, a high height (recommended, which is what you do) cut does what it should. If the grass is cleanly cut but not "macerated" (mulched) then I suspect it's the type of grass being cut and the amount being cut. Try mulching it at less than a 1/3 height cut. I suspect that's your problem (all our problems). Mulching works best on a "crew" haircut style.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Try a Double-Cut

When cutting the grass, cut your entire yard once. Let it dry out for an hour in the sun, then cut it again the same exact way you cut it the first time. Dont change you pattern, and you should end up with a pretty good look.

---------------------

Danny

Doesn't it work better if you cut 90 degrees to the way you made your first passes?

Reply to
Noozer

This depends on the result you are looking for. If your looking to make some sweet looking lines int the grass, try it my way....

The second time really brings out the lines...

If you crosscut it, you get a different result, and i personally dont like the crosscut look.

In general, (my opinion) I like a line to go from the bottom of the driveway to the front door of the house to give it that, come visit us look :)

Reply to
Danny

Hey Danny, how did you make out with that organic broadleaf herbicide we were talking about?

Reply to
Steveo

Like a shithouse witgh a screen door, I'll say

Reply to
LARRY THE CABLE GUY