Mower oil overfill

My son just called and said his lawn mower is smoking badly. I'm positive he over-filled the crankcase with oil since he claimed he put in an entire quart. My experience is that most mower take far less than that but he said he couldn't see it so he kept adding. He's going

to try to drain about half of what he put in and then see what happens.

My question is, if he did overfill it, what damage did he possible due to the engine?

Reply to
euclid69

Yea, those dammed 4 year old John Deere tractor sucks! Buy a Craftsman at 1/3 price..Buy a new one every 10 years. Get 30 years out of money for a Deere

Just luv it!

Reply to
Stanley

I've never seen a mower that didn't have either a dipstick or and overflow to control the level. But most take at least 3/4 of a quart which is not exactly "far less than ...". I always see warnings not to overfill but the few times I've experienced it no permanent damage resulted. My Jeep dealer regularly overfilled our Cherokee every time they changed the oil. And once a dealer overfilled my Mazda Navaho but I caught that before I left and made them drain a quart out.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Possible blown seals

Reply to
puddles

I've seen over-fill foul out the spark plug on a mower..makes it smoke real bad until you drain off the excess, no biggie.

Reply to
Steveo

"puddles" wrote

I'll bet that put a smile on those seals.

Reply to
Aaron Sells

I prefer to club the seals.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Who waz it, kip that said "leave my private life out of it"? :P

Reply to
Steveo

you didnt say what engine you have, but if its a push mower he may have soaked the air filter with oil, i d check that. lucas

Reply to
ds549