Mower for large area

My mother, now in her 80's, has a large area of lawn (couple of acres a

least) which needs cutting. She has an old Allen Nation with about

57" or 60" cut [3 cylinder gang-mower] at present, but its probably 1 years old and has "had it". A new one of those is around £ 6,000
of the lawn is a large area, easy to just mow up-and-down, but smaller area has wide-ish paths around shrubberies.

I'm reluctant for her to just get a 24" ~ 36" ride on tractor wit rotary cut as I assume that a) the reduced cutting width will increase cutting time, b) she won't have those nice stripes, c) if she has a wide rotary it will probably scalp some of the bump the three gangs easily run over at present.

D) OTOH she'd have a useful tractor as well.

So my thoughts are a) Quad bike towing a gang mower - is that practical / cost effective?

b) robot mower - seems like a vast area for one of those, but there i a saving in not paying someone to do the actual mowing - a hand-mowe for the paths / perimeter would be fine.

I hasten to add that she has someone to cut the grass for her, but t be fair he's no spring chicken either!

(I'm based in the UK)

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kriste

-- kristen

Reply to
kristen

Why the drastic change in width from 60" to 24" ? Can't you consider a ride-on with a 48 or 50" deck ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko