Mower Engine Problem(s)

I have a 2 years, 2 months old Briggs and Stratton 14hp engine on a Troy-Bilt 42" chassis. It just ran out of warranty 2 months ago. When I first got the mower it would backfire every now and then. Last summer it would blow a puff of smoke when I started the engine.
Today, the engine would rev very high until I engaged the blades, then it would resume normal rev speed. I checked a few things, and noticed a rubber hose that attached to the carb from the engine had came lose from the carb. I placed it back on, added oil (as I always do when it's needed), and mowed the grass. When I finished, I turned the mower off and restarted to see if the high revs woul dhappen again. When I did, a large amount of oil blew out the rubber hose I had reconnected.
I'm afraid this may not be good news. This engine has been well cared for - regular oil and filter changes, etc. I had a similar problem with another B&G engine a few years ago. I will not be buying another mower with a Briggs engine mounted in it.
Anyhow, obviously, I need to fix this 2 year old mower. Before I tear down the engine, anyone want to suggest the problem based on the symptoms? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Greg) wrote:

Does the oil smell like gas?
--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

(Greg) wrote:

Yes, a little, but doesn't most used oil have a gas smell? What's you analysis if it does have a gas smell?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Greg) wrote:

It might be the carb.
http://www.small-engines.com/gasleak.html
--
And it's twice as hard on my stride
When I take a day and let it ride. - Paul Cotton.
(Greg) wrote:

It sounds like there is too much oil in it. Check it or drain the sump and refill with the proper amount.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Greg) wrote in message

Well, the service guy looked at this engine. The cause of failure was due to a ventilation hose detaching and sucking dirt/dust into the engine. The hose, apparently, connects to the engine from the carb. Briggs agreed to replace the full engine, even though it is 2 months out of warranty. Thank you B&S.
The service guy wants $360 to do the work, plus filters, plug, and oil. Does that seem like a reasonable rate? He says he is going by the B&S labor rate guide.

that's a shortblock not a complete engine. and if it's sucked up enough dirt the throttle shaft will be worn in the carb. tell them you want briggs to cover a new carb also. it will be trouble down the road if they don't. i managed a small engine shop for several years and have seen it before. Chip
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Greg) wrote in message

He told me that it was a long block (complete engine) less the fly wheel.
Greg wrote:

backfire on shutoff. Were you able to get an answer to the problem of the backfire, or is this standard?
The engine runs fine, but everytime I shut it off, there is a good 1 backfire. Any help you can offer is appreciated.
the back fire is caused by detonation that's when you turn off the engine it will turn over several more times sucking gas into the combustion chamber. the engine is so hot that the gas ignites from the heat. the back fire you hear is the explosion from the gas igniting. try letting your mower run at idle for at least one minute before you turn it off also check idle speed adj. it could be to running to fast at idle also check high speed fuel adj. it could be running to lean making engine over heat

News==----
Newsgroups
=---