Moss

I know some people like this stuff but frankly I find the dank oder annoying. Also I'm sure the soil under it is a breeding ground from grubs and such. Anyone have a good recommendation for getting rid of it ? I'm thinking about pouring some glacial acetic acid into a hose-end sprayer and "perfuming" the entire yard.

JD

Reply to
John

Good day Jonh. Wow, I'd say you really don't like moss! Before you go all buck wild with glacial acetic acid, I'd suggest that you would use moss-out. It will work much better for your lawn (in the long run). If the moss is very heavy, then thatching would be the cure your after.

To keep the out of your lawn, you first need to understand why you have it. Moss is a cultural problem generaly caused by excess shade, high moisture levels, poorly drained or compacted soil, low soil fertility, low or high soil pH, lack of air circulation or some combination of the above.

Suggested corrections:

1: ph test the lawn area. Shoot for a 6.3 to 6.9 ph. Adjust soil ph if needed.

2: Thatch and overseed if moss is heavy, other wise just overseed/slit seed.

3: Identify problem areas in your lawn area that may not be draining well or otherwise compacted.

4: Fertilize the lawn area. Feel free to peek at this page for a better understanding of fertilization.

Mow the lawn area regulary at 2 to 3 inches.

- - Yard Works Gardening Co.

Timothy

I don't mind some but this stuff has taken over my entire lawn. I'm quite surprised. In some of the more densly shaded areas it's over 1" thick.

Oh my thatching rake has been quite busy already !

Unfortunately this isn't within my control. I have an absentee landlord owning the home next to mine. She has at least 20 trees (oak, black walnut and a towering magnolia tree that must be 75' tall). The town refuses to bother her even though there is no denying that there is some danger of animals and vermin living in the huge pile of branches stacked along the south side of the deserted home.

All of the above ? Rocky soil over an underground stream.

I'm taking multiple samles to the lab this week for a full workup. Given the penchant for the disposal of _anything_ into ones yard here in Tennessee, I'm almost afraid what we'll find.

Tried that last year. It's far worse this year.

The soil isn't compacted realy as I have numerous subterranian miners (aka, gophers and crawdads).

I mow to 2" when the weather is cool and to 4" when hot.

JD Photography -

-
Motorcycles -
Music -