Moles and ground thumpers

Have been trying to get rid of moles without like (traps will be next). I know two others who have tried thumpers in the ground they are not sure if they work or not. Any experienced hands who would part with words of wisdom. Thanks in advance
L said:

Treat your lawn for grubs.
--
Eggs

-Half the people you know are below average.
Traps work. You have to learn how to use them.
Pat wrote:

Any recommendations on traps.
L said:

Ya, don't waste your money on them. Sure, you may get a mole with one, but they'll be back. Take away their main food source, and they'll go elsewhere. A cure is always better than a bandaid. Treat your lawn for grubs.
--
Eggs

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?
First you need to be sure of your critter. Gophers are vegetarian, moles eat insects. Moles make a hill shaped like a volcano. A gopher makes a fan shaped hill with the plugged hole visible on one side. Trapping techniques are the same for both. Moles are smaller than gophers so a smaller trap is needed. There are several varieties of traps. I only know the pincher style as shown here http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp the first one on the page called the death clutch trap. Dig, following the tunnel down until you find the main runway. Then you will have two holes running in two directions. Since there is no way of knowing which one has the gopher two traps will be needed. If you don't catch one in a few days pick a new location with fresh mounds and try again. I try to keep my scent off the business end. If the trap is sprung reset. Try not to miss much. The critters can learn to be trap shy. Fasten the trap to a stake so it can't be lost down the hole, Moles move into your yard regularly from your neighbors. Keep an eye open for fresh mounds. Best to trap them quickly. I trap one or two a year. Usually in the spring sometimes in the fall. Digging up the main runway makes a mess. I fill it in and the grass hides it shortly. I dislike the thought of poisoning my ground on a regular basis. With bait you never know if you are successful. A trap shows your results immediately. Poison can be expensive. Traps work year after year with no cost other than their initial purchase. I bought my traps from a farm supply store. Two traps came in the box for about $17.
I have fought moles in our lawn for 3 falls, and they are back as of about two weeks ago. I've done internet research, spoken with extension agents, etc. I have tried grub killers and hose end "mole stop" products with no success. Everything I've ever read and everything I've ever been told by the local extension agents is that thumpers, grub killers, fumigation products, hose end "mole stop" products, and all other non-lethal efforts simply don't work against moles. My experience confirms some of that research.
Today I went to the local Northern Tools where I'd seen mole traps. It was my lucky day and they were making a seasonal inventory change and getting rid of their mole traps. I picked up two for $2.45 each.
The moles in my Atlanta yard had better watch their furry little butts, 'cause there is a new sheriffs in town...

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I am on my why to Northern Tools in Virginia Beach...I am slowly coming to the opinion that only body count works.
L wrote:

Here no mole traps but other in this string provided good web site for mole traps. Still not sure which is better ??.
You might look here http://www.molepro.com/products/trap_comparison.htm#1
This site describes how to use a scissors trap http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74115.html I use a pincer style that is the same as a gopher trap only smaller. Its what I know.
this is my 4th year seriously trapping moles. the scizzor trap and the nash trap are more consistent catchers than the spike trap, but if you dont have the killer ,hunting instinct, forget it. killing grubs didnt work for me.