Mcculloch 35cc gas chain saw 16" any good?

HomieDepot is selling this chain saw for $79.99. Mcculloch has been around since the early 1900s so I am thinking they should know what they are doing. They did buy a Taiwan OEM so I guess it's getting made over there or Mexico.

Reply to
Peter Parker

For $80 new, I'd buy it as a throw away.

Reply to
Steveo

That's my style. I must have 5 or 6 of them (various sizes) - and at least

3 of them still in regular operation. Also have a Mac weed wacker but can't find a new spool for it. Thought Mac was gone forever.
Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Reply to
Steveo

That's what I was thinking. I compared it to the other crap brands and for the money and the Mcculloch history, I would go with the Mac...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Nope. Mac is here to stay.

well known for a wide range of electric and gas driven chain saws, was founded in 1943 by Robert McCulloch in Milwaukee, Wisconsin under the original name of McCulloch Motors Corporation. Moving the company to California, Robert McCulloch moved the company to California, where the first McCulloch chain saws, the 5-49, was manufactured in 1948.

The 5-49 two-man mcculloch chain saws offered a winning combination of lighter weight and more horsepower than any competitive two-man chain saw on the market. Followed by the first one-man mcculloch chain saws, a truly remarkable product that revolutionized the entire industry. The introduction of a chain saws that could easily be handled by a single person opened the door to new markets for Mcculloch.

In 1958, the company name was changed to McCulloch Corporation. In 1968, McCulloch introduced the Power Mac 6; weighing only 8.5 pounds fully fueled; it was the world's lightest chain saw. The affordable Mini Mac 1, introducedin 1972 opened the chain saws market to the casual user. Electric McCulloch chain saws were introduced in

1972 while gas powered string trimmers, hedge trimmersand blowers were added to McCulloch's product line up in the 1980s. McCulloch moved to Tucson, Arizona in 1988 where it opened corporate headquarters and a distribution facility. In October 1999, McCulloch's North American operation was purchased by Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd , a Taiwan based manufacturer.
Reply to
Peter Parker

Yea. Why did you reply?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Cuz I can. Why do you pose as moderator?

Reply to
Steveo

The first ekectric chain saw was invented by Andreas Stihl in 1926 and they built one of the first gasoline chain saws in 1928. For under $200 you can get a STIHL that you won't have to throw away and will run for a long time. They are also built in Virginia, not Taiwan. Why should you have 5 or 6 saws that only half run when you can get one that will run? JD

Reply to
JD

I believe McCullough is out of business. I have used one of those saws for many years and it has been fine. Near Boston they want $6.50 to sharpen blades, however.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Get the Dremel adaptor and do it yourself in minutes for pennies.

Reply to
John Harlow

I'm leery of using anything motorized, even a Dremel. My father always used a file, flat bastard follwed by a mill, anything motorized might heat up the metal too much and cause the blade to lose temper won't it? I've only used a grinder (4") on a 8' bush hog, which still took an hour.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

They do make rather easy to use guides for sharpening. A five dollar guide with a three dollar file and five mineuts of time... bada bing, sharp teeth. Here's some pages that speak to this sharpening method:

timothy

The 3 or so seconds it takes to sharpen each tooth doesn't end up heating it excessively; I can immediately touch the tooth afterwards and it doesn't seem overly warm - it certainly doesn't burn me. I am really sold on the Dremel sharpener; I do a lot of trail work and often need to cut muddy fallen trees (dirt will instantly dull a blade). Using the Dremel I can restore it to like new sharpness in literally minutes. YMMV.

Reply to
John Harlow

You call your father a fat bastard? What kind of son are you?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives