McClane reel vs. Trimmer reel mower?

The McClane, 17" swath 7-blade Briggs & Stratton version, I can get from a local dealer for $550. It's gas powered and self-propelled.
The Trimmer, I can get directly from California Trimmer, 20" Heavy Duty 7-blade w/ 3.5 Briggs & Stratton enginer, for $1,400.
I spoke to a couple of dealers and they said in reference to the McClane, 'You get what you pay for.'
Does anyone have experience with these two mowers? I don't have a monstrous yard, but I do want a nice cut. Is the McClane really a piece of junk?
Thanks, Curtis