Lush moss...Help !!!problem

I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick moss problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at it there is very sparse grass and thick moss. In fact, right now in the north east it is starting to thaw. i can lift the moss up in sheets, maybe 3 and four feet square in size. Underneath, left behind is nothing but the soil. I was going to hit the moss with a moss killer but now i wonder , with such little grass left behind, if I am better off just lifting all the moss and planting new grass in the spring. On the fringes there is more grass than moss and it kind of clings to the ground, so I was thinking of hitting that area with the moss killer. What do you guys think I should do?? All recommendations will be considered
Thanks
John W

Just curious, why do you not like moss? Curious Tomes

Have you ever thought of going a different direction? Maybe come up with a planting scheme that uses the moss as a base/background instead of going with grass. There are a lot of interesting woodland type planting schemes that might look fantastic there. If you do decide to take the moss out, and it comes out in such convenient sheets, do you have any rock work on your lot? Moss and rocks tend to look rather nice, in fact some people pay quite a bit of money that install moss covered rocks in their landscapes.
Tony

Since everyone else is 'tap-dancing' around your original question, I'll give it a shot.
If the grass is that far gone under the moss, it sounds like you have little choice but to replace it.
I'd remove all the moss/grass, till, level, and lay new sod. Done.

Yeah I tap danced because I see this a lot. I have moss, how can I get rid of this evil thing.... I truly wish to know why the moss is considered to be such a bad thing? We have places in our property that have moss. We use that. We like that. It grew there because for that micro climate it is nature's decision that it is the best thing in that spot.
Yep, other folks don't want it and I just wish to know the other side of the thought process. Not an argument, just quite curious. Tomes

Like everything in this world, it's preference. It sounded like John did not like moss in his grass.

Agreed. I've got a few spots on my North side where the moss loves to take over.

If we were all the same it would be a boring world :-)

Could not agree with you more.

What if he's an 'Aussie'?

The effects of 'our' North are Southbound there....

moss grow on in down those parts? :)

No, you just have to think standing on your head :o) Everything you think of as being related to north is transferred to being related to south in the southern hemisphere. Winter is in our summer too.
... and I expect that the moss grows on the south side there too <grin>. Tomes

wrote in message

Oh - I am sure that if there is moss, it would be on the side of the tree away from the sun: South there. I just have not seen it with my own eyes, having not been there. :o)

Tomes down under compass)
wrote in message

Why would the moss face north on the other side of the equator? Moss grows on the side of the tree away from the drying effect of sunlight. Moss has no compass; moss reacts to the wetter environment away from sunlight. Down there it is the south side. I did a little searching for you:
http://members3.clubphoto.com/denise240731/1027830/guest_icons.phtml - look at the picture of moss growing on the south side. It is in the right hand column, 9th one down.
At least I found something.... <grin>. Tomes

Sounds like you are better off stripping back and regrassing rather than trying to rehabilitate the existing grass. Ensure you take all the moss off however. You may be better to extend the area you prepare for re grassing to take in the fringe areas of moss/grass. If the moss is persistent do you need to consider soil drainage or access to light? Do you need to lay down a sandy soil to improve drainage or cut back foliage to allow more light in?
I have had problems with moss in various areas of the garden. I have tried resowing but found the moss returned as, like snother poster said, it was what grew best there. I have converted those areas to raised gardens or paths a I was never going to solve sufficiently to my satisfaction the moss problem.
rob
George.com wrote:

The advice above is good. The other thing you need to do is adjust the pH of your soil to make it above 7. Moss (and mushrooms) does not like sweet soil. Use real lime rather than pelletized limeSTONE. You can get lime from places that sell tile. Get the hydrated type because anhydrous lime will pull the water out of anything it touches, including YOU! NB: Limestone is crushed seashells and it not very basic; consequently, it will take many, many years to have any effect.
Moss like lots of fertility, moisture and shade. ...You might be able to increase airflow/sun exposure with shade. -Ray