Lowes - Troybilt

If anyone is tempted to buy the bottom of the line Troybilt riding mower (Pony) from Lowes, don't. The deck only raises/lowers on the rear. The front of the deck is pin mounted. Doesn't move up or down. Any minor bumps in the landscape, scrape goes the blade... Purpose of a deck the only move up and down in the rear? Dave

Reply to
Dave

I believe the pin is threaded at the tractor mount point and is adjustable.

Reply to
do_see

That is true, u adjust from the front. There are two bolts that protrude from the lower front of the mower. I have this mower and LOVE it. It gives a good clean cut, rides good, and is versitile with attachments. Perhaps you have the deck too on the side adjustment lever. Or u have some reallly bad bumps in your landscape. I have a few unevenesses in my lawn, but no big deal. I did however almost tip the thing twice, but that is because I get a little to agressive around trees, and when I am done I like to run as fast as I can back to the house. Thats on speed 7. Probably that I am very tallthe center of gravity is working against me, oh well!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

That is true, u adjust from the front. There are two bolts that protrude from the lower front of the mower. I have this mower and LOVE it. It gives a good clean cut, rides good, and is versitile with attachments. Perhaps you have the deck too on the side adjustment lever. Or u have some reallly bad bumps in your landscape. I have a few unevenesses in my lawn, but no big deal. I did however almost tip the thing twice, but that is because I get a little to agressive around trees, and when I am done I like to run as fast as I can back to the house. Thats on speed 7. Probably that I am very tallthe center of gravity is working against me, oh well!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure, pay less for better construction!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

Reply to
Steveo

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is what he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD. I have both and don't prefer one over the other.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel as a construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Reply to
Steveo

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.

Reply to
willshak

Not that it makes much difference - but I don't think he means "fiberglass". I think he means one of the stronger plastics. There are some pretty strong but they won't resist fatigue like steel will.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

thank u!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

on 10/5/2007 7:59 PM Srgnt Billko said the following:

The OP was not talking about a mower deck. He was talking about a tractor hood (bonnet). I suppose fiberglass would make nice fenders too, but that doesn't address the plastic hood costing more than a metal hood.

Reply to
willshak

Saving face? Steel rots, especially when subjected to the wet environment of a cutting deck, fiberglass is impervious to it. That's why they don't make them out of plastic. Your cutting -deck- would last much longer than the tractor.

I like a good cigar as long as you're buying, billy.

Reply to
Steveo

They make frames out of it for bigger machines than lawn tractors.

Reply to
Steveo

I disagree. The OP was specifically talking about the mower deck - and mentioned nothing about cost. But I was not responding to the OP.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

To help correct semantics, I mean the shroud and rest of assy that moves the entire blade rotating assy up and down in relation to the riding mower itself. Troybilt parts manual uses the term "deck" for the entire assy that moves up and down.

Yes, the deck adjustment is the RH side lever. The other RH side actually engages the blades. The entire deck does not move up and down, just the rear with the RH side lever. As I stated before, I don't understand the purpose of raising/lowering only the rear of the deck. Seems to me, the front and rear of the deck should raise/lower in unison by concept...

Maintain the deck height adjustment lever at highest position. What I say about the rear of deck moving up and down only with that lever is demonstrated by moving the lever and observing the rear of the deck moving up and down as a consequence.

My leech field is an above ground level version. Angled on sides, and flat on top. I have been tempted to mow the sides with the riding mower, but is too steep. I only mow the top with the riding mower. The remainder, I attack with a Boelen push mower. Direct attack up, across, and down result in grass removal to soil level at the edges on top of the leech field. Dave

Reply to
Dave

on 10/6/2007 12:07 AM Srgnt Billko said the following:

I was responding to the OPs message, but not his original message. His addendum to his original message was:

"OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure, pay less for better construction!"

Nuff said on my part.

Reply to
willshak

Fiberglass breakse and shatters, not steel!

Reply to
bigjcw1023