Looking for a natural, biodegradable mulch mat

Hi folks,
I'm new to the boards, and am happy to meet you all!
I live in SoCal, and am looking for recommendations on a mulch-type mat. I'd like it to be made from natural materials that can biodegrade after 2-3 seasons (a seasonal mat would be great, too), looks nice, and is lightweight and easy to work with.
Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers, Chris