Longer weed like grass growing through our lawn.

Our new lawn has lots of weeds that are sprouting up in it that look like grass only they grow at a much faster rate. My father in law said it was Timothy grass, but I'm not sure. I sprayed a weed and feed on my lawn and it killed the clover and dandelions, but this stuff persists. Is there anyway to kill this stuff or keep it from growing?

It looks like the type of weeds you'd see growing in a hay field. Last year, when a section got really high, it had what looked like wheat at the top of it (those little light brown berry shaped things that hang from tall grasses).

Reply to
crutnacker

It's impossible to identify this without seeing it. It sounds like an undesirable rough type of grass. The bad news is that for most of these there is no selective herbicide for control. And even the ones where one is available, you aren't gonna find it at the local garden shop. If there is not a lot of it, best solution may be to mow, then let this grow up as much as possible, then coat it with 5% Roundup, using gloves and a sponge.

If you have a lot, then it's may be lawn renovation time, where you kill everything off in Fall ans re-seed.

Reply to
trader4

Here are pics of 8 common weeds with seed heads. See if one matches yours.

willshak

Did you cover your new lawn with straw when it was planted?

Reply to
Steveo

Oh man, a fast grower indeed!

Reply to