Lime

I need help on lime. How thin do I need to spread it?

Reply to
Tyshun Hampton

Lime applications are based on pounds per 1,000 sq ft. How much you use depends on your situation.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

Get your soil tested, either by a lab or you can buy a test kit at most garden centers. Once you know what the PH is and what it should be for the type of grass, you can determine the amount needed. The bags of lime usually have info as to how much is needed to raise the PH a specific amount.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

And be clear about whether you are talking about real lime (CaO) or limestone (CaCO3) which is sold as "lawn lime". The latter is ground up seashells and does not dissolver quickly at all.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Almost all lime products for home lawn use are going to be slow dissolving. This is what you want because it raises PH slowly and lasts longer. Any product you get which is going to change PH rapidly is also going to be a very hazardous product to work with meaning you'll need to wear a respirator and eye protection. Pelletized, slow dissolving products are much better suited for the home lawn application and can be easily applied with a garden fertilizer spreader.

All lawn products have the calcium carbonate equivalent(CCE) marked on the bag. All you have to do is divide the pounds of calcium carbonate called for in the soil test by the CCE. For instance, lets say the soil test indicates he needs 25 lbs of calcium carbonate per 1,000 sq ft. The product he buys is Dolomite Lime, and is 45% CCE. All he has to do is divide 25 / .45 to get 55 lbs of Dolomite Lime per 1,000 sq ft.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

message

dissolving.

I agree. However, pelletized limestone does not change pH enough to get rid of moss. I've been experimenting with this for years.

Reply to
William W. Plummer