Lawnmower Re-Starting Problem

Hi,

My son doesn't live in the area, so I can't go down there and offer any advice first hand. Also, he's pretty non-mechanical.

Anyway, he has a Toro walk behind lawnmower purchased last year, so it's pretty new. It's the kind you squeeze the handle, and it moves. Pretty typical kind; bought at HD.

Anyway, it always starts just fine. But after a 1/2 hour or so, just about every time, it shuts off. Won't re-start (while hot). Plenty of gas and oil.

But when trying again when cold after a few days, it starts just fine.

Any ideas what might be wrong ?

Any hints on getting it to re-start while very warm ?

i don't think there is any Carb lever on these models like for full-choke, half-choke, etc. Are there ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Tell him to take the gas cap off, place his lips tightly inside the hole and blow as hard as he can.

It seems too new for spark plug problems but it is possible the plug is overheating also.

Aren't they "guaranteed" to start by the 2nd pull ? Ask a Toro dealer.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Tell him to try this old trick. Remove the gas cap. Put a piece of saran wrap over the threads, secured by a rubber band. Poke a nice hold in the saran wrap.

It 'sounds' like it's creating a vacuum in the tank and the cap is not allowing enough replacement air.

Reply to
FireBrick

I had one like that and the local small engine repair shop just kept selling me stuff. After 5 visits I put my foot down and asked the owner to either fix it or return all the money I had given them. He fixed by removing a bunch of leaves and grass that were clogging the heat fins.

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

I have perhaps the same Toro mower from Home Depot. The first start is usually pretty easy. My yard tends to be wet in places and if I don't catch it in time the engine will stall from the wet grass. I have the mulcher on. Restarts on the yard can be difficult; there is sometimes just enough drag when you are tired that it won't restart. I just take it to the driveway to restart it. Also, suggest that he not use the primer for restarting unless he has pulled several times without a start. Too much gas makes it hard to start and takes several pulls to get the correct mix.

If it is heat related, perhaps a fifteen minute break would help. I'll usually check the gas and oil while cold and haven't tried that while hot. I don't know if the other posters suggestion about a clogged air hole is helpful.

Also, if the mower is a year old he should be on his second oil change. The first is after a couple hours of run time and recommended yearly after that.

Nope. Just a bulb on the side to prime it for a cold start.

A neighbor of your son's could perhaps spot a problem for him.

Good luck,

David

Reply to
David