lawnmower for a woman?

I'm almost 50, have about 3/4 of an acre, with very few trees. I need a lawnmower that will motivate me to mow! I have a push mower from Sears, with big wheels in the back, but it's getting too hard for me to push it around. Can anyone suggest a mower that won't make me dread mowing the lawn? How much money should I expect to spend?

Reply to
linda

How about a good lookin' young man in in his thirties? ;)

About $10 an hour the last time I hired one...........

Reply to
Gemini

Linda,

I have a snapper self-propelled walk behind which I've had for 15 years. It still works very well. I would recommend getting a mulcher so you don't have to worry about clippings. They also offer models with electric start if pulling on the cord is not your thing. You probably will spend $400 or more if you get the electric start model.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

Should I buy one with lots of horsepower? Will that make it easier for me? And what are electric lawnmowers like? Are they self-propelled? Are they hard to push?

Reply to
linda

Get a 'homely' lookin one- the good lookers are too difficult to keep interested!

larry

Reply to
Larry

Electric are limited by the length of the cord...electric START (referred to above) will be easier to start than that damn pull cord...:-) Are they self-propelled? Are they hard to push?

Self-propelled is a bit easier, but 3/4 of an acre is a lot of grass to cut.

Why not go to Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc (pick one) and speak to one of the associates. If a riding mower is in your budget, get one of those.

Lynn

Reply to
LFR

We mow approx 1/4 acre and have had a Toro Super Recycler with Personal Pace (self-propelled but no gears to shift) for four years and love it.

We always mulch, including lots of leaves in the Fall. We did choose to get it with a cast aluminum deck for durability. We didn't opt for the electric start and have had no trouble using the standard recoil start, but that's a personal choice so you might consider it.

Depending on the options -- deck, bagging, electric start -- I think it can run from $400 to $650. It does a great job mulching, I love the "personal pace" and it has been NO trouble, just regular maintenance.

Forget electrics, your 3/4 acre is too much for any electric I'm aware of. In fact, you might be on the outer limits of walkbehinds and perhaps consider a small riding mower.

Good luck.

Reply to
Ermalina

I'm 68 and I bought a Honda. I bought the one with a cluch so I can stop and pick up something, the blade stops but the mower keep running. It's very easy to start. I only mow less than 1/4 acre and have a lot of trees to mow around. I find that if I mow often it is much easier. I set the speed at what is my speed for that day. If you have steep hills get one with the big wheels in the back. If your yard is flat get one with small wheels on the back. The big wheels are harder to turn and go around trees on a flat lawn.

Reply to
Fay

Reply to
Anonymous