lawn winterize

To winterize or not to winterize lawn

"Winterize your lawn", the big sign outside the garden store commanded. I've fed it, watered it, mowed it, raked it and watched a lot of it die away. Now I'm supposed to winterize it? I hope it's too late. Grass lawns have to be the stupidest thing we've come up with outside of a thong swimsuits! We constantly battle dandelions, Queen's lace, thistle, violets, chicory and clover that thrive naturally, so we can grow grass that must be nursed through an annual four-step chemical dependency.

Imagine the conversation The Creator might have with St. Francis about this:

"Frank you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there in the Midwest? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracted butterflies, honeybees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles."

" It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites.

They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great extent to kill them and replace them with grass".

" Grass? But its so boring. Its not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, Only grubs and sod worms. Its' temperamental with temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that green grass growing there?

" Apparently so, Lord, They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poising any other plant that crops up in the lawn".

" The spring rains and cool weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy".

" Not exactly, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it-sometimes twice a week".

" They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?"

" Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags."

" They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?"

" No, sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away".

" Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?"

" Yes, sir."

" These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work."

" You aren't going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it."

" What nonsense! At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius,

if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty an d shade in the summer . In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket

to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life."

" You better sit down, Lord. The suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and have them hauled away."

" No! What do they do to protect the shrub and the tree roots in the winter and keep the soil moist and loose?"

" After throwing away your leaves, they go out and buy something they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in the place of leaves."

" and where do they get this mulch?"

" They cut down trees and grind them up."

"Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore. Saint Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?"

" Dumb and Dumber, Lord. It's a real stupid movie about.

" Never mind I think I just heard the whole story."

anonymous

Reply to
symplastless

this is precious, simply precious...

Reply to
Jim

Yeah. I have seen that several times over the years and there is so much truth to it. I see that the annual 'what to use to bag leaves' threads have started over alt.home.repair. Even after they have been told the simple way is to mow/mulch em, they still go on about buying fancy equipment to vacuum them up.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

've been trying to move my customers towards organic methods. triple shred, putting leaves through the shredder three times produces some dense mulch. with the new and deeper understanding acquired recently for how many of the selective herbicides and insecticides as well as improper or incorrect applications of nitrogen actually have a great negative impact on the environment as well as the ground water, I've decided it is now time to make some changes concerning how the suburbanites acquire and obtain the lawns they desire.

in short, if the chemical bonds with the soil at the molecular particle level then that chemical is removed from my list of what is acceptable to use. the list is getting short.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

We cut the grass with a bush hog a couple of times a year whether it needs it or not. I ain't raking no leaves or riding or pushing a lawn mower even if you pay me gold standard to do it.. The birds love the thistles that grow in the back yard. I've found that you don't need bird feeders to attract them, just let the natural flora grow up and the birds will flock to it to get the seeds and nectar (humming birds love phlox and other sweet smelling flowers.. The birds planted mulberry trees and currant bushes and black raspberries all over the property around the edges of our woods..They have done more to benefit the property and myself(I love berry jam) than any stinkin' lawnmower would.I don't use herbicide or pesticide on anything. It's not nice to poison plants and animals. I do live on a farm, and don't worry about what my neighbors think of my lack of grass cutting.. The leaves rot down and disintegrate by themselves under the trees. The wells out here in farm country tend to wind up contaminated by the over zealous application of herbicide and pesticide, and I for one don't want to add that crap to the water I pull up out of the ground that I have to drink. Quite a few of the private wells out here are contaminated with Alachor/ the breakdown product of the Herbicide Lasso. It is carcinogenic and once it is in the groundwater it takes a long time to dissipate..

Reply to
Grizzly

What do you do when there is a 3 foot layer of leaves?

Reply to
do_see

Feel blessed. Mow, rake, and compost.

Reply to
Billy

Maybe wait until spring until they're only a six inch layer? ;)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I'm glad you understand all this stuff. spread the word so others can also begin the slow and long process of gaining an understanding.

Good Job Grizzly!

peace be with you, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Why wait till they're 3 feet deep?

Reply to
xPosTech

canceled with authoritative override. authoritative override® TM product of JimWare...

Reply to
Jim

Raise the mower deck and mow away. Would take several passes but when done the leaves will have disappeared...or rather what shows will disapear in a few days. I haven't done 3ft but have done 1 ft.

Methinks you exagerate a bit with the 3 foot layer.

You want to waste your time and valuable soil amendment by raking, bagging and thowing away, be my guest but don't knock a sensible method of dealing with leaves.

Harry K Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hold on. Thong swimsuits aren't stupid. They might be stupid on you, but they're not stupid here:

Rudy Canoza

Lawdy Miss Clawdy...

Reply to
AL

I wait for the North wind to blow them into my neighbor's yard.

Reply to
Elmo

Assuming you're unable to mow them into oblivion*, you could try a rake. It's a relatively new invention, so, like when CD players first became available, you might have to get on a waiting list. No matter what anyone tells you, you can rake & bag as fast as or faster than with a leaf blower.

  • Yes, there are situations where you can't use the mower to grind up the leaves.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What difference does it make if any particular chemical bonds with the soil at the molecular level as opposed to just going straight on to the ground water or into lakes, streams via runoff? I'm not even aware that chemicals are made to molecularly bond to soil to begin with.

Reply to
trader4

The ions from chemical fertilizer salts, can be slowed down considerably as they pass through your soil, by clay. Good garden soil is about 20% -

30% clay. Problem is that these fertilizer salts can harm/kill the micro flora and fauna in soil. A healthy, diversified population of micro-organisms will give you a healthy lawn if you feed them with compost. There is more to it but that is the gist.
Reply to
Billy

yea and I'll be glad when they invent a better muffler for that loud thing called a rake.

I laughed until it hurt watching a city boy take a bagging mower into a flower bed.

Reply to
Jim

it's not that the chemicals were made to bond with the soil, it is that they do. as for run off, there are proper precautions one can take to minimize run off the simplest of which is to adhere to the proper applications rates. when chemicals such as herbicides are applied within the correct rate the vast majority of the chemical is taken up by the target plants and never achieves run off status.

most people have no idea of how to calibrate an application device so as to know their exact output. they have not sought the training and therefore have no understanding for distance, time, pressure or volume.

it was a good decision when the full strength chemicals were placed out of reach of joe home owner...

organic is the total solution to the problem...

Jim